PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Training, OATS & others....

flystudent
15th Jul 2003, 00:43
Hi

I know there are lots of archives on the subjects, but would like up to date information that anyone has to offer.

I am looking at the modular Ground School training with Oxford Aviation and it looks like it costs £5500 for 2 phases of training, phase I and phase II, their ground school is supposed to be second to none, friends I have who have attended have agreeed.

However on the flying side of things, they have said they are good, but do not speak of it as highly as the ground school. Could anyone shed some light on this matter ? I heard that some of the instructors left there and set up a flying school elsewhere in the UK, Gloucester way I think ? again can anyone comment.

They also have a porgram called the APP, however it seems very expensive for what you get. Ground School, Exam fees,Flying Training to ATPL standard and MCC and some jet orientation.
I can't see how all this would cost £60,000. Especially as the ground school element is £5500. I could do the MCC for about £2500 and the Jet Orientation for about the same again, leaving a difference of £50,000. Is my flying really going to cost me that much ?? I dont think It would I think I could get it for less and have some money left for a type-rating (if it came to it)

There seems to be no apparent benefit of an integrated course over a modular one, at least that's my interpretation after reading the Gapan survey.... http://www.gapan.org/career/survey.htm

I am currently thinking, do the ground School with Oxford but find the best school I can for the flying side of things, if this is oxford so be it.

Any advice anyone can offer please

Regards

lost flystudent
:ugh:

Squak2002
16th Jul 2003, 03:43
Hello,

I was also look at Oxford for the ATPL full time.
The people I talked to said that it wouldn't hurt to have at least some part of your training at oxford. In my opinion is would be worth spending €7,500 for the hardest part.

I was also thinking of getting a loan of a friends camper van and
park her somewhere close to the school. Might save a few quid.

For other areas of the training I was looking at training back home in Ireland, maybe "Pilot Training Ireland" in Dublin and Waterford. (Well, better get the ATPL's out of the way first)

Regards,
John

Send Clowns
16th Jul 2003, 23:02
I have made a reply on the parallel thread in "groundschool" (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96195).

Safe flying!