PDA

View Full Version : Experimental flying suit

Self Loading Freight
2nd Aug 2001, 03:38
I read somewhere recently that a new flight suit technology was being tested. The suit is full of acutators that can apply pressure around the body at quite a high resolution.

The good bit is that if you link this into aircraft attitude, pitch and so on and apply appropriate pressure, it becomes very much easier to sense the aircraft's orientation with respect to ground. This not only compensates for confusing (or absent) visual cues, but creates such a tight feedback loop that even untrained bods can throw stuff around the sky with relative impunity.

It's an intriguing idea. Does anyone know about this -- or better yet, has anyone tried this?

R

STANDTO
2nd Aug 2001, 17:55
UNTIL IT BREAKS DOWN :)

kabz
2nd Aug 2001, 18:38
The Six Million Dollar (da da da -- etc) man was wired into a plane in one of his adventures so he could actually feel the planes sensors.

There is a cracking description of how he felt flying in one the books. He didn't want to come back to just being human again.

So far ahead of it's time -- predates crappy old suit based VR by decades.

(For cheapskates like me -- you can achieve sort of the same effect by strapping yourself really tight into something without engines... hee hee)

Dan Winterland
3rd Aug 2001, 00:15
A cheap hotel I once stayed in in the States had a bed a bit like that. You put a quarter in a slot and..... Sorry, I digress!

BEagle
3rd Aug 2001, 16:47
Dan - I trust that was when you were flying your ancient secondhand nuclear bomber rather than the Vikcers Funbus! Shame you went to Virgin rather than coming to VTF! We never stay in cheap hotels! But there again, I guess neither do Sir Dicky B's chaps and chapesses! Have fun!!