PDA

View Full Version : Le Touquet

John Smith
14th Jul 2003, 19:05
Hi Folk's

A friend and I are planning a trip to Le Touquet in the next few weeks and looking for any gem's of wisdom from those who have done it.

Customs, ATC, Car hire, Accomodation, Good pubs, Good night out, Aircraft parking, can you camp next to it etc.

Thanks

Chilli Monster
14th Jul 2003, 19:14
To take one bit at a time:

Customs: If the Douanier isn't behind his window then make sure you book in with the aerodrome authority (who'll take your landing fee and arrange fuel for you). Normally no hassle though

ATC: Ok until it gets very busy, then it becomes a bit of a lottery. You'll discover that aviation french is more long winded (the regulation is that French aircraft are controlled in French in France) so you'll get hacked off when you're trying to get a call in and someone's jabbering away. C'est la vie as the locals say

Most of the rest - look at Le Touquet website (http://www.letouquet.com)

Aircraft Parking - in front of the main terminal - loads of space

Camping next to - no chance, it's all tarmac ;)

It's an easy intro to going foreign - enjoy

Keef
14th Jul 2003, 22:20
As CM says, it's an easy intro into going foreign. LFAT are very used to British visitors - they even get to know the regulars "Ah, bonjour G-UTSY, join downwind right hand runway 32, the taxi is there."

"Customs" is there till about 12:30, then he goes to lunch. Technically, you are supposed to wait till he gets back, but I've found the smiling folks at the fees desk will take your details, and when I've left the douanier has been friendliness personified.

ATC - talk to Lille Approach, who probably will do no more than give you a squawk and then tell you when to call Le Touquet Tower.

Car hire - if you're going any distance, I think it can be done. Bicycle hire is also available for those not going far. There are several taxis serving the town, too.

Accommodation - don't know. Never stayed overnight in LTQ. There are hotels, pensions, etc - and lots of French folks stay there so they can't be all that bad.

Good pubs - dunno. I tend to frequent the restaurants and cafes. Plenty of those. I like La Petite Charlotte and L'Harlequin. Perard's is also well worth a visit.

Aircraft parking - there's a set of tie-downs on the apron with a hawser running along, so take ropes.

As CM says, you can't camp there cos the apron (very large) is tarmac.

All in all: a very easy trip and an enjoyable one.

Be ready for the engine to realise it's over the sea and tease you by sounding rough as you coast out. Be ready also for the horizon to go all vague. A bit of IFR training on use of the AH can make life easier for the crossing.

Le Touquet has just moved all its VRPS (again) but you're not likely to need them unless vis is bad and you have to go SVFR - which then ups your vis minima so you can't anyway :rolleyes:

Fuji Abound
15th Jul 2003, 00:13
If you have never been before I suggest there are two good ways of approaching the airport VFR. If you don’t mind the longer sea crossing route from SFD direct. Alternatively coast out at LYD and head for Boulogne to track the short distance along the coast until you see the river. On a clear day you will see the river from some distance. The 14 / 32 runway is preferred and runs parallel and to the west of the river. Downwind is on the east side of the river for both runways. If you are happy there is usually no problem getting a direct for 14. If the active happens to be 06 there is a forest beyond the threshold so expect some sheer or turbulence on a windy day. Parking will usually be in front of the tower. Do watch the weather. L2K is notorious for sea fog. It can be CAVOK at Lyd and on the floor in L2K. One good way of checking if in doubt is to ask Lyd – if they don’t know there is usually some cross channel traffic who they can ask.

L2K is a notified customs airport. You don’t have to wait for the desk to be manned. Just walk through to booking in if there is no one there. The gentleman at booking in speaks very good English if that helps.

Bikes can be hired at the airport and are good for getting into town (an easy 15 minute cycle) or the supermarket (about 10 minutes). Cars can be hired at the airport but the booking office is often unmanned and always closed for lunch so it is worth phoning before and booking.

Do a search and you will see a number of restaurants have been recommended before – L2K is of course renowned for its fish restaurants.

VFR flight plans can be filed as little as 15 minutes before your departure. Fuel is obtainable from a bowser that comes out to the aircraft. All can be paid for using a credit card and there are cash machines in the town in case you forgot the Euros.

There is a very good local gold course (two courses), a small supermarket in town and a much larger supermarket just behind the 06 / 24 runway (but you have to go the long way around to get to it). The water park is great for the kids of the sea front (water slides etc).

Enjoy.

left_hand_drive
15th Jul 2003, 00:19
For an excellent b&b set in pine woodlands, only a short taxi ride from LTQ, try Le Belvedere... http://www.belvederefrance.com/

No, I'm not associated with it or anything so cannot take any credit but have stayed there a few times and it's very much like a home from home. Run by Maggie, lovely English lady who serves excellent breakfasts and is a great hostess.

Book early though... can be difficult to book because it's also near the golf course and the place gets filled with golferers ;)

Have a good trip! :D

lhd

READY MESSAGE
15th Jul 2003, 04:13
I too can recommend Belvedere. Stayed there a few times - great host at a lovely house. Very handy for town and the airport. Maggie will recommend restaurants in town - Harlequins I recall was her favouite an well worth the trip. The Westminster is about the smartest in town but a trifle dear!!

Enjoy!

Fly Stimulator
15th Jul 2003, 05:06
On a nice day it's a pleasant walk into the town from the airfield, though the roads all look a bit similar so it's useful to have a map. (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/Le%20Touquet%20map.jpg)

Keef
15th Jul 2003, 07:14
Be careful with the "no douanier". My understanding is that under French law, you are supposed to wait for him to return! It could be a long wait sometimes...

In practice, asking the chap on the landing fees (and soup/wine sales) desk will usually give you an alibi - you tried!

Wycombe
15th Jul 2003, 15:19
The only time I have overnighted at Le2k, we stayed at The Westminster (big Hotel on the right as you come into town from the airfield)....would recommend, but not cheap!

The beach is fab if it's a nice day, btw.

John Smith
19th Jul 2003, 01:39
Thanks folks,

Maybe see you there soon

JS