PDA

View Full Version : CFI ... UK or US ?

smartcol
14th Jul 2003, 18:41
Hi,

I am currently considering doing a CFI rating in The US, however as is with all major things in your life, you reach a decision and then begin to question it.

I have found a school who are willing to give me a job, depending upon performance, once I complete a CFI & CFII course with them. I will be given a student visa and can then work for 2 years, so they tell me.

However I am wondering whether it may be better to do a JAR CFI rating in the UK, try my chances of an instructors job here and then maybe going to US with the JAA rating and trying out there.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best option and answer some questions I have ...

1) How easy to convert JAA CFI to FAA and vice versa ?
2) Does the visa story check out okay ?
3) Are there actually any UK CFI jobs available ?
4) Am I just bottling it and should i just jump ship and go !!!

Help much appreciated,
thanks guys.

col

Keygrip
14th Jul 2003, 19:28
There are no "conversions" for JAA FI to/from FAA CFI - however, the FAA CFI will give you a partial credit towards the JAA groundschool (down from 125 hours to 90). No credit for the flying portion.

Having both ratings would be great - especially if you intend to teach in USA.

The visa thing is probably genuine - many schools do that - but there is often a maximum experience level at which you can convince the authoritities that you are still a student. If you have too much experience, they may reject your application for a student visa. The level of this seems to vary depending on where you make your application - though I'm sure somebody will follow this with a "statement of fact" (because they want to blow their own trumpet).

If doing both - find a school that TEACHES both JAA and FAA - you will easily get a full time job out here.