PDA

View Full Version : ERJ-145 Approaches and descents

comxtek
14th Jul 2003, 14:47
I was a passenger on an ERJ145 into CLE today and we experienced a go-around. Now go-arounds happen all the time, but this one was a little weird.

On the downwind leg for 6C (I'm sitting on the right side of the aircraft w/field to my right), I noticed we seemed to be a bit high...at least higher than what is usually normal. I'm thinking to myself we are probably going to go out further on the downwind to drop altitude. But maybe 2-3 miles past the airport, the a/c makes the right onto the base leg having only dropped a little bit of altitude. They start a pretty good dive down.

Then the aircraft turns onto final, still very high. The a/c then does what is another unusual dive (not so much that it could be felt, but a very unusual attitude). Then they drop the gear and retard the thrust levers.
We are still very high.
We cross the runway threshold and still very high, then and only then the crew decides to go around.

As we're making the left, I noticed that the center runway is a bit shorther than 6R, so I thought that maybe we just seemed high since an aircraft landing on 6R would be at much lower altitude during its approach.

But when we came back around for the landing, we must have been at least 500 feet lower than we were the previous approach b4 the go-around.

Any ideas why this crew was so high?? Why did they wait so late to go-around. I'm not a pilot (I just fix the things), but from someone who is an avid flight simmer, even I knew that landing wasn't going to happen at that altitude that close to the airport.

(BTW: The crew said they went around due to an aircraft on the rwy (which was BS!!)