PDA

View Full Version : Bush Flying

WelshFlyer
14th Jul 2003, 06:58
Hi all,
I'm a student pilot doing a CPL/iR in north Wales. I would love to go into bush flying when I get my CPL. I'm used to flying 'round mountains and valleys - take a look at a map of north Wales! :)

I can't stand the idea of flying a 737 and my dream aircraft is a DH Bever. What's the possibility of me bush flying in Canada? It's a beutiful country, and from what i have seen on the 'net and videos, it is quite like the landscapes I fly 'round every weekend.

Do you have any advice - I can't seem to find any info on the 'net. Also what ratings should I do? I'll probably do a seaplane rating, but is there anything else I need?

Thanks,

WelshFlyer. :)

YYZ to POS
14th Jul 2003, 09:47
Hey, check out this site...www.avcanada.ca
It's a very popular Canadian pilot forum. Check it out!
I'm under the alias airline_destiny in that site...
Later

Finals19
15th Jul 2003, 05:44
WF,

You want mountains and bush - come to BC! Best times are probably late Aug early Sept...north of the city is bush / mountain paradise, with the Cascades and Coast mountains rising up to the 10,000ft (+!) mark...its full on mountain flying tho (not trying to belittle the welsh mountains of course!) and any club you rent from will almost definitely insist on a mountain check of about 2 hrs (a very good idea!) This is fun though, and if you are lucky you might even get to do a bush landing (search for "tipella" as a BC airport! - 2500ft of dirt carved out of a forest surrounded by mountain walls!)

I suggest you think about places to rent around Vancouver - Boundary Bay airport is perfect for this - www.czbb.com

Check out the place I train at - which has good a/c availability

www.pacificflying.com

Cheers, Finals!:ok:

WelshFlyer
15th Jul 2003, 06:12
Thanks! I'll probably go and check out some of these places in Canada as soon as I get my PPL (A):) and then go out and look for a job as soon as I have my CPL/Ir. Is the IR Needed or should I just stick to a CPL?:confused:

WelshFlyer.

Charlie Papa Lima
15th Jul 2003, 23:30
Good plan about coming over to Canada to have a look around the area.

In my opinion it would probably be better to hold off on the IR for the time being and get your CPL out of the way.

However, have you thought about doing your CPL on floats?

There are several schools over here that offer programs where you do your training on floats. You normally require more than 50 hours on floats before a lot of companies will look at you for a job due to the high insurance premiums involved with float planes.
The cost of the training is greater doing it all on floats but you may have a slight advantage over the guy next to you that only has the minimum time on floats.

Something to consider......

Here are a couple of websites that I found. Hope this is of some help.

www.air-hart.com

www.parallelaviation.com