PDA

View Full Version : Runway usage at LGW

Charley B
14th Jul 2003, 02:05
Hi,
Can someone let me know whether LGW uses 08R for a week then 26L for a week or does it work up till 15.00 each day then change?
Its been lovely today as loads of planes on Seaford departures and going right overhead as they climb out---this usually happens on a c**p day when thick cloud and can hear them but not see them !!Hi to everyone on 135.32, keep up the good work!

NigelOnDraft
14th Jul 2003, 02:23
<<Can someone let me know whether LGW uses 08R for a week then 26L for a week or does it work up till 15.00 each day then change?>>
Errr... no. I think you'll find it has something to with the wind!!

NoD

flyingfletch
14th Jul 2003, 03:03
Basically aircraft take off into wind, therefore if the wind is coming from the west then aircraft at LGW will use runway 26L and vice versa!

clear up the confusion?

Flying:ok:

BOAC
16th Jul 2003, 00:06
Charley - there are other considerations when wind is not a significant factor, like visibility at either end, which runway LHR is on if the choice is marginal for all other factors, and sometimes the wind on finals can be a problem for pilots when the runway is actually into wind but the 1000' wind is not; plus the runway MAY be selected for a forecast wind which has yet to arrive. Over to ATC for the truth now!:rolleyes:

spekesoftly
16th Jul 2003, 01:09
Some other factors (not necessarily specific to Gatwick) that can determine the 'runway in use', when winds are light:-

1) Noise abatement procedures (Some Airports have a 'preferred' Runway).

2) Availability of Runway lighting and Approach aids.

3) Runway gradient.

4) The position of the sun in relation to Aircraft on final.

5) Traffic flow and expedition.

Spitoon
16th Jul 2003, 01:48
speke, you forgot individual controllers' preferences!

spekesoftly
16th Jul 2003, 01:54
Nah! Just trying to be 'diplomatic'. ;)

Second Grace
16th Jul 2003, 06:38
errmmmm,

'when winds are light' seems, in some parts of the world, to cover up to a ten knot tailwind. Of course, this can mean lots more than a ten knot tailwind at 1000ft or 2000ft.

Airports that do this (and I can think of two major international airports in Europe straight away that have the distinction of membership of IFALPA's blacklist), court disaster in a subtle way that they haven't given enough thought to...

Aircraft should take-off and land into wind. Simple. Even the single runway so common nowadays is a significant compromise.

Gonzo
16th Jul 2003, 07:04
The runway we're on may affect which one Gatwick uses?

Really? Gosh, didn't realise we were so important! I hope anyone from Gatwick doesn't expect us to do the same, 'cos we don't care! :D

WMD
16th Jul 2003, 17:10
Gonzo,

As far as I'm aware - it doesn't make a difference which runway LL are on as to determining KK's active - and why should it?

As for you 'not caring' ? Come now there's no need to get nasty!

Give it a few years (20 or so) and you'll be smaller than Stanstead - of course, you might get a 3rd runway which will make GMc even more entertaining. Let's hope you get some staff before then.

WMD

Gonzo
16th Jul 2003, 17:37
WMD,

As long as we're as apathetic as each other, that's ok...... ;)