PDA

View Full Version : The 'Right' Road ?

Pirep22
13th Jul 2003, 06:57
I am currently mid point thru my integrated training for which I have recently failed my CPL skills test.Whilst I am certain that I will pass the re-sit, my concern is with the current job market and the realistic likelyhood of becoming employable as a low hour pilot with this fail on my record.

In view of the above, I am considering using the remainder of the cost of my training to obtain a FAA ATP with approximatley 500 multi engne hours and a type rating to boot.From there, I have been reliably been informed that there are job opportunties with certain Asian countries, where it is possible to build a healthly stash of jet hours.

Therefore, my question is whether I would be more of an attractive proposition to the airlines as a converted FAA pilot with relevant hours (all going well of course) or as a graduate of an approved JAA integrated course whose multi engine/IR hours have been undertaken in British Airspace.

It may well be that a first time fail of the CPL isnt much of an issue (on the basis that a first time pass of the IR holds much more wait), although it is a question of what route is most likely to result in a career as a pilot.Whilst we would all ideally like to fly for the airlines,like everyone else, I simply want to work doing what I love.

I appreciate that there are no 'Mystic Megs' out there with all telling crystal balls, although I would be grateful for any thoughts that you might have on the dilemma.

df1
14th Jul 2003, 04:51
Hi,

My opinion (not by experience) would be to stay with the JAA system. I am an FAA rated pilot and have nothing but praise for the US system.

Although your source may be right to point out that there are jobs in SE Asia, those same jobs would most likely also be open to JAA (or CAA) rated crew.

The problem that I see is that you are in the market if you have got the hours (as you well know) and some tangible experience i.e. turbine time with useful ratings Boeing/Airbus etc. It is this latter area which is the now notorious Catch 22.

With the FAA, you will get more hours and can probably get additional boost by an instructing job, but that is still likely to put you at a shortfall (sorry to be a pessimist).

But please don't take my opinion as Gospel! You may benefit ten-fold from an FAA license and you can always obtain JAA at later stage. Its a tricky subject but I would say stick with JAA.

Good luck with whatever you decide

:ok:

Pilot Pete
14th Jul 2003, 05:30
I'd say it is generally unlikely that you will be asked if you passed everything first time.(I know there are plenty of exceptions, so don't everyone jump down my throat, I said generally and that's from my experience. I've not been asked by an employer, only by CTC.)

You generally will be asked about your training history, especially if you have low hours, because you don't have any job experience for them to enquire about! This opens up your 'can of worms.' They will want to know why you changed part way through, ask you if you are indecisive, if you don't like facing difficulties head on etc etc. Remember they are looking for your weaknesses. You have to show them (if they find out about them) what you have done to correct them. They like people who learn from their mistakes, we all make mistakes, the good guys learn from them in an attempt to prevent the same mistake from happening again. Honesty is a good policy, as is acknowledging your mistakes/ failures/ weaknesses etc. I wouldn't offer the information to them, but if they ask directly I would have a good answer ready which attempts to turn the negative into a positive.

The situation you describe could be turned into a positive whatever you do, especially with a first time pass at I.R. (which most are more interested in, if they ask at all!)

My personal thoughts would be to stick with what you are doing and complete what you have set out to do. I would shy away from 'changing my mind' and starting another route without completing my current one. However, if you want to work in SE Asia and an FAA ATPL is what you need then I would question why you didn't go that route in the first place.

Anyway, good luck whatever you choose.

PP

Pirep22
14th Jul 2003, 08:21
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I appreciate your views on this matter.

df1, Ive researched the FAA side a bit further and for the remainder of my funds, I will be able to obtain an unfrozen ATP with the requiste hours (including the required multi engine time). Granted this does seem too good to be true, although the school is approved in acordance with Part 141 and the multi engine time is by way of a sister transport company.

Would you therefore consider an full FAA license to be more of a acquisition than a frozen JAA ATPL in the current climate ?

Pilot Pete, I agree with you 100% with regard to acknowledging your mistakes, getting on with the job and learning from your experience.That is a fundamental train of thought that applies to any challlenging and popular career choice. And I am more than happy to face upto any difficulties to get into the rhs, it is just a case of what is realistically the best course of action to get me there for someone in my position. I didnt intend to original aim to fly in SE Asia, but it seems the best way to strengthen my C.V when applying to UK airlines for a few years time.

If you think of any ideas as to what might be a better route in the circumstances, I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Pilot Pete
15th Jul 2003, 01:53
I would add,

it's always difficult for low hours guys, particularly so at the present time. I would be extremely surprised if there were plenty of jobs in Asia just waiting for 'low hours' FAA licence holders of British(?) nationality. I'm not saying they don't exist, but be very sceptical. The big flying schools over here talk up their 'connections' et al but they still pump out plenty of students who don't get straight into airline employment.

Just consider the possible downside. You end up with an FAA licence and the jobs in Asia don't materialise. Yes, you have 500hrs multi engine which is not to be sniffed at, but if you can't find a job due to no 'right of abode' etc. then when you come back to convert your licence you will find that the CAA (JAR) probably don't give any great credit (I may be out of date here, but it certainly used to be the case) and you end up shelling out much more than if you had just done the course here in the first place. By all means get the hours by instructing/ working in the US (if you can) or in Asia if it is possible, but don't think you can waltz back into the UK and 'convert' for nothing much at all then apply for jobs. Someone on here will know how much this sort of conversion costs for low hours pilots........it isn't usually cheap.

So, as with all these permutations you must do your homework and find out what the realistic chances are of everything going to plan, cause sure as eggs is eggs the US training school are unlikely to tell you the downside...................

Good luck.

PP

Pirep22
15th Jul 2003, 02:53
Pilot Pete

Thanks for the constructive advice.I will certainly research this area alot more before taking the plunge. Like everyone else, it is a case of having as much relevant information as possible, in order to make the best decision at the particular time.

Great 'story' post by the way.

scroggs
15th Jul 2003, 18:45
While there are jobs available in SE Asia (and elsewhere) for non-national FAA license [sic] holders, almost all of them require considerable experience on the type to be flown. I think it's no more likely that you'd obtain an airline job there than you will here, assuming you pass the remainder of your course, so there seems to me to be little benefit in changing your plans now.

Of course, should you change to the FAA system, and subsequently be successful in obtaining employment, your experience would be as valid as anyone else's on your return to UK.

As for first-time pass records, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Undoubtedly most employers would love to hire the perfect pilot, but that animal doesn't yet exist! Once you have the licence in your hand, the minor problems you suffered in getting it will assume their proper perspective. Remember, airlines will generally hire the first suitable candidate that presents him/herself; they don't usually wait for the ideal candidate to turn up. Even those with the highest recruiting criteria tend to be realistic when presented with a high-quality individual, so don't worry what's gone before - make sure that the rest of your training goes as well as it possibly can.

Good luck

Scroggs (on one of my ever-shorter visits home!)

ecj
15th Jul 2003, 19:46
Why not talk the situation over with your flying instructor?

Failure of attempt one of the SE phase is not a reason in itself to jump ship for the FAA route. Stick with the advice offered concerning any retraining before attempting the test again. Do not be in a rush to retake the test until your instructor considers you are fully ready for it.

Stick with the techniques you have been taught. Perfection is not necessary to pass any test. A good workman like performance is all that is required. One step at a time.

The FAA route should not be regarded as a softer option.