PDA

View Full Version : ANR headsets...again

skyfarmer
12th Jul 2003, 15:40
ANR headsets....again
Before I get told to search the forums first, already done that, and read the posts. Plus read all manufacturers blurb etc.

Have been instructing now for about 4 months, and was hoping to upgrade my 1996 model DC 13.4 ANR set with a new ANR set, if I know there is going to be an improvement. Loads of new sets available now, newer improved circuitry etc.

So to the question....

Has anyone out there any experience with sets such as BOSE X, Lightspeed Thirty 3G, Pilot 17-79, Telex Stratus Digital, or other makes? The ones listed above are on my shortlist at present.

What I am looking for is direct comparisions between the sets, from people with experience of them.

I know the BOSE set is going to cost me more than a months salary, but if they do the job, and safeguard the medical, then it has to be worth it.

Cheers

Neil

IO540
12th Jul 2003, 16:38
I did a fairly extensive test of headsets 2 years ago, with realistic noise sources, including the then top ones which are still the same, and I went for the Bose X. It is very light, comfortable for long flights (4.5 hours is my longest so far, with no problems) and has very good transmission speech clarity. The D-C 10-13 was very similar overall, had better passive attenuation, but you get a lot more earcup pressure and wearing glasses (even ones with a very thin side piece) it was not comfy.

However I don't think the Bose would last long in a "club" environment; especially the aircraft powered version with the flimsy plastic "Lemo-lookalike" connectors which snap right off. I've had four Bose X headsets for 2-3 years and have never damaged any myself, nor have any of them failed for any reason other than the connector breakage by clumsy people, but one does have to brief passengers. But I think the same will apply to any half decent headset... I would go for the Bose every time.

There are some new headsets out now though, worth checking out. Go to a headset shop which has an aircraft noise source. Headset Services at Shoreham is one.

18greens
13th Jul 2003, 06:14
IO540,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am very interested in the BOSE X sets if they will save my ears for a few more years.

The question I have is are they compatible with the ubiquitous 10-13.4. This is the only thing holding me back from buying a pair. I'd hate to invest then find out I couldn't use them

I did buy the Bose quiet comfort active walkman earphones and they are fantastic.

skyfarmer
13th Jul 2003, 14:57
Thanks for the feedback.

Compatibility with DC 13.4 is no problem, at least not in the aircraft I flew with yesterday, PA28, with standard 2 place intercom.

As luck would have it, a chap at the club yesterday came in with a Bose X headset, so i took it up on my next lesson and did direct comparison with the DC ANR set. The student also tried the three different sets (DC Passive 13.4, DC ANR 13.4 and BoseX).

There is not much difference between the ANR sets. The Bose IS quieter than DC ANR, but not by enough to warrant chucking the DC's. DC's do have a definite background hiss at higher frequencies.

The student said the clarity of my voice through the Bose mic was improved over the DC mike, and I could notice a definite improvement to his clarity when I had the Bose on and he was using the DC sets.

I would be worried about build quality /strength of the Bose set though. They seem like a cheap plastic jap toy in comparison to a set of DC 's. The mike boom seems very flimsy where it fits to the headset, get it caught once on shoulder strap and it would probably be ripped clean out of headset.

They are very comfortable and light though, you almost forget they are on.

Our club has recently purchased 16 new sets of Peltor 8006's.

Do not let anyone else make the same mistake, they are F****ing awful. As a pair of them, (left and right seat) the audio is bad enough, the mike noise from them is horrendous

I let all my students use my spare DC 13.4's once they get themselves a set of earcovers and mike sock, so I do not have to listen to the noise from the peltors.

One of the Trilander captains here has bought a set of Telex Stratus Digital ANR sets, so am working on him to let me try them soon.

PS Jersey aero club handle all GA flights to the island now, no handling agent to worry about. Landing fee min £6 going up £3 per 500kg up to 3 tonne max weight, after that you go to Beauport Aviation. Included is 168 hrs (7days) free parking, and you can re-fuel at 55p per litre.
Get over here

Cheers
Neil