PDA

View Full Version : International Air Tattoo

tonyt
11th Jul 2003, 21:38
Have just received tickets for this years show - bit of a novice having never been before.

Any hints or tips on how to get the most out of this event? (apart from fingers in ears and looking up !).

many thanks

Dan Winterland
11th Jul 2003, 21:55
Leave plenty of time to get there. The M5 doesn't exactly run all the way to the gates of Fairford, so expect big queues.

SilentHandover
12th Jul 2003, 00:41
Get yourself to Swindon and make use of the park and ride service from there, by far the best way to get there.

chiglet
12th Jul 2003, 04:50
I'm chuffin' working the entire weekend :{
Hope it goes well for All concerned
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

tonyt
12th Jul 2003, 20:21
Thanks guys - will let the train take the strain as you recommend!
Sorry if you have to work, only just managed the Sunday off myself! - oh the joys of summer flying :-)

HeliTigg
14th Jul 2003, 18:28
Take a bike, its a lot easier getting around. Have always parked in one of the surrounding villages and cycled in, missing the traffic. Everyone looks mighty irritated as you scoot through the queues! Its also great for touring the static displays!

Tigg

Splat
14th Jul 2003, 21:25
Never again I'm afraid - last year was shambolic to say the least, and I'm not spending that length of time in a queue again.

wilco83
14th Jul 2003, 22:22
TonyT,

Tigg's advice is spot on. If you don't want to spend 3 to 4 hours in a traffic jam on the way in and at least the same if not more on the way out then park some way off and cycle. The car parking and single lane roads that get you to Fairford are a nightmare at this time andshould be avoided at all cost.

Wilco83

phnuff
15th Jul 2003, 01:54
To echo everyone else - if you can find a way to dump the car and do the last 10 miles by bike or what ever, you will save hours; oh and take good walking shoes, the static line is incredible but very long.

There is a book about the organisation of the show worth reading. I'll dig out the name later

John

The Nr Fairy
15th Jul 2003, 03:13
phnuff :

If you've got a bike, surely the static line's length isn't a problem ?

(Sorry, couldn't resist that !)

phnuff
15th Jul 2003, 04:50
ItsIf you've got a bike, surely the static line's length isn't a problem

duhhhhhhh

Well, mine currently has a puncture

HeliTigg
15th Jul 2003, 17:16
and do the last 10 miles by bike or what ever

That sounds like far too much exercise to me!

Just to the north there are a bunch of villages (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=415080&y=204200&z=5&sv=415080,204200&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf), about 3/4mls away. Park up there and its an easy ride in, no main roads and you can even dodge round the 1 way system!!

However, i havent done it for a few years and rumour has it they've been painting little yellow lines in these villages, as to what a traffic warden would be doing there i dont know, but still, watch out!

Oh, and if i find you've taken all the parking spaces i'll hunt you down:mad:

Tigg;)

wilco83
15th Jul 2003, 23:00
Do you mean three quarters of a mile away or 3 to 4 miles away? Map link doesn't work so not sure.

Last year the traffic jam almost reached back to Swindon big queues onnthe A419 both ways and from elsewhere. Almost everywhere close by is no parking without permits (some no access) as they try and filter you into Fairford from quite a distance away now. You could try using the old A417 from Cirencester to Lechlade and Fairford and stopping in one of the villages on the way and cycling the rest.

BoeingMEL
16th Jul 2003, 04:37
Fairford is undoubtedly one of the truly great shows.... but last time I finally got out of there at midnight.... and this weekend's event coincides with the 40,000+ cars heading for the Brit GP at Silverstone. Mmmmmmmm think I'll mow the lawn again! bm

HeliTigg
16th Jul 2003, 05:47
Sorry Wilco, i mean 3 - 4 miles away. Look on a map at the villages around Quenington, cycle due south, over the main road, until you hit the airfield.

What a weekend tho, Fairford and Silverstone, i'm fortunate enough to be going to both. No worries about queues tho, cycle to one, fly into the other(and get paid for the privilege)!! I just hope the weather holds!!

:hmm:Just thought, if i tell enough people about this cycling trick, then they'll all do it and the roads'll be clear:E

Tigg

The Nr Fairy
16th Jul 2003, 14:16
HeliTigg :

The roads won't be clear, they'll be clogged with cyclists. :D

Bear 555
16th Jul 2003, 15:52
In my opinion of travelling to RIAT Greenham Common/Fairford/Cottesmore for over 20 years, I think if you ain't at the gate by 7am, then don't bother.

I also believe flying in is a good option - either from Coventry or from Heathrow with BA. I'm sure I heard they were laying on a charter..

Bear

pilotwolf
16th Jul 2003, 18:27
Heathrow charter is full - we tried that option.

Alternatives are DC3 from Kemble for £70 or Dove from Biggin Hill at £240 - not sure if they have places as not really value for money in our opinion...

TeeS
22nd Jul 2003, 17:11
From what I saw over the weekend, traffic flow was excellent. I believe a private company was used this year to plan the routes and control parking and this appears to have been a great success.

The only long queue I saw was on the dual carriageway running north from the M4 at Swindon but even that was moving at a steady rate. The situation might have been helped by numbers being down on previous years, partially due to Silverstone and problems last year putting people off.

The Park and Ride was under used and looked like a good option.

If you didn't go this year because of transport fears then you missed out, the show was excellent. Don't miss the next one!

Cheers

TeeS

phnuff
23rd Jul 2003, 01:52
The book I mentioned before is

AIRSHOW, by Graham Hurley

Damned good read (or so I though)

captchunder
27th Jul 2003, 03:47
I agree with TeeS: a great show this year; shame it was underpopulated with the paying public. Typhoon display awsome and the best Harrier display I've ever seen. Flypast by B2 (flanked by F15's) and the huge noise of B1B also highlights.

Didn't see any traffic queue at all (from north), but came by m/cycle just in case. NB cycles were not allowed further than the car park this year.... and that static line is a helluva walk!

Looking foward to next year

Jordan D
2nd Aug 2003, 16:08
I'll agree with captchunder, from what I saw on the Friday, it was excellent, and seeing as its my first show, I'll definately be back ... the highlights for me were the Typhoon, the Grippen's amazing display, seeing things that I thought Lynx's could never do, as well as the Arrows ... plus I quite enjoyed being in the back of a C17 ...!

Jordan