PDA

View Full Version : 02FO - Get Rich Quick!

strafer
10th Jul 2003, 23:25
Re Dr-Evil and JohnnyPharm's posts in the 'my book' thread, I've decided to start the new thread here:

Who has gone for any of the money making schemes suggested in the 02FO manuals as great ways to boost income and pay for flight training?

Although I found the manuals very informative and worth the price, the 'Earn ££££££'s per month!' stuff seemed to good to be true. And if something seems to good to be true, it generally is. I just wondered if anyone had made any dosh?

PilotOnline
11th Jul 2003, 00:39
I didn't succumb to that side of the advertising, but have found since they stopped updating their site that my name and address has found it's way onto numerous mailing lists. I now receive a small rainforest worth of junk mail a week telling me that my path to untold wealth and romance is just a £20 cheque away. I would prefer it if these companies were honest and just wrote to me saying "help me get rich quick by sending a cheque for £20!"

I know someone who did apply to one of the money making schemes once, and all they received was more motivational 'YOU can do it" type stuff but spend your money here instead of with x, y and z. Ended up without a whole lot of riches. I guess you have to ask yourself, if it is so good, why are they telling everyone about it? What's in it for them?

I haven't responded to any of the junk mails namely because I need all the money I currently have (and significantly more besides) to gain my fATPL. Gambling it just prolongs the time I am likely to stay in my present dead end job.

Capt BK
11th Jul 2003, 03:05
20 quid away! All the junk mail I get from 02FO generally asks for 200! Have you had the one from Mr X who can't tell you who he is but assures us he is a big TV celeb and can make you rich, famous, happy and pull anyone in the world you like:D :D

Personally I have always binned the junk mail as well (after reading for a good laugh!). Despite what people say it is almost impossible to make money from nothing - otherwise we would all be rich would'nt we!! I also thought the manuals were bit dissappointing too. Basicly just common sense and a bit of widely available information.

Dr-Evil
11th Jul 2003, 18:25
Well, heres my tuppence for what its worth.

I bought in to 02FO and was quite encouraged...initially. I don't think - actually I KNOW that theres nothing 'of subtance' in the manual that Clive Hughes doesn't deal with and then some. 02FO is really more focussed on the psychology of succeeding and the 'power' of goal setting. This is fair enough and I did learn something new from the manual - the author also has a good writing style so its easy reading. Its not all bad news.

However, the web site for members has ceased to be updated (this happened quite a while ago actually). This is a shame as at first it was very useful. In fact, last time I did look at the update the 'captain' was volunteering to arrange hour building buddies for members. This is nothing that couldn't happen on Pprune but I thought the sentiment showed some sincerity behind the whole operation.

On to the other stuff.....

I don't want to work for other people from the rest of my life. I quite like the idea of being fairly comfortable, getting up in the morning, taking the Pitts Special up for an hour and then going to play golf before coming home for a swim etc etc. Yeah right, wake up ! But, an important thing to remember is that it is a FACT that that kind of fantasy is a reality for some - albeit a very small minority. And no I don't know anybody with that kind of lifestyle -depite being a master global criminal tyrant.

So, in other words, I'm not averse to finding out about any methods which may help me become financially independent, even though I admit the above fantasy isn't going to happen. (At this point author would say something like, "No Dr-Evil, you will never have that because you believe that you will not have it - you have been conditioned by a society designed by the super rich to preserve their interests and wealth. You must believe that you can do it!")

In short, I bought the betting course thing. I have learned an awful lot, lost a bit of money but if truth be told - I think it actually has substance. Be careful though, the course isn't all its cracked up to be and some of the advice is very very bad stuff. What the ads DON'T tell you is that you need to be in a position where you can afford to lose £5200 in order to make the famously quoted £12 per year. If you don't have that money to begin with, there is advice on how to get it. I don't need to type any more do I ? I think you all get the gist. Needless to say, I didn't have that kind of money and I gave the other methods a shot. I came out of the whole experience a couple of hundred £ down but with a lot learned.

It was about the time I started getting mailed with ads for the '5 Secrets' I started to get properly twitchy. Myself and another long forgotten Ppruner decided to check it out and managed to get all the bumpf between us before deciding that all it was actually telling us was that;
a) the rich get richer because they know stuff everyone else doesn't.
b) just because everyone tells you you're stupid for trying - it doesn't mean you are (its easy to take the pi$$ but then - if you don't take risks, you'll never reap the rewards)
c) you need a few grand capital to realistically start doing anything - and then there's a good chance you'll lose it.

So again - some good stuff but nothing a self help book, g.c.s.e. sociology & psychology and a bit of common sense won't teach you.

I've not parted with any more cash since and I'm a bit hacked off at some of the mail that I get that I never used to before I encountered 02FO. There is money to be made selling the contact details of those susceptible to certain types of publication to other 'businesses'. Not once during my involvement with 02FO have I had the opporutnity to 'opt out' of Direct Marketing - this is a bit naughty.

So, in the meantime, no doubt my old address is still getting mailed with 'Fleet Street Updates' from Lord Rees-Mogg !!! I never signed up for that !

I hope some of you find the above useful/interesting. 02FO is an interesting read but buy Clive Hughes if you know what you want but you just don't know the details.

Don't go near the Racing School course unless you're prepared to risk £5200. I'd recommend not buying the other stuff. You can get just as far by having a few grand to risk and buying a book on 'Contrarianism' - thats all it really talks about.

The author is an expert at filling out a few useful insights in to some very long courses - each could easily be compressed in to a quarter of their size.

Next please..............

strafer
11th Jul 2003, 19:40
What we need is a computer hacker to change our names & addresses on the 'Gullible :mad: er' marketing list that buying 02fo has obviously put us on, to the names & addresses of the directors of those companies.

Surely an evil meglomaniac would have those sort of contacts???

PilotOnline
11th Jul 2003, 22:02
Strafer,

Thankfully I am moving house in a couple of months so shan't be updating my address with them. You can e-mail them your change of address so why not give them a false one if your not moving!

Dr-Evil
11th Jul 2003, 23:11
I was going to suggest registering with the Mailing Preference Service - a register for consumers who wish to opt out of Direct Marketing. But then again, I'm not sure 02FO and friends are the types of outfit to subscribe to such industry registers so it probably wouldn't make any difference !

:rolleyes:

PFO
14th Jul 2003, 18:46
You can always register with the Mailing Preference Service and the Telephone Preference Service.

You can find their websites on any decent search engine.

Hope that helps.

PFO

Dr-Evil
18th Jul 2003, 16:45
Cheers PFO - have a read first though eh.

I have recieved (forwarded from my previous address) today, a 'special' letter from none other than James Edwards (dropped the Captain title these days).

There is no source address that I can reply to to change my details or request my removal from the list.

Anyway, the letter claims that I've been randomly invited to join in on a business venture which will easily make me over £270k for a few hours work per day. I must reply to an e-mail address within 48 hours to qualify.

Guess what this amazing opportunity is ? None other than direct mail - it would seem that theres money to be made in sending people cr@p through the post. No, really - that may explain why he's so persistent.

Anyway, the letter contains several references to his stash of millions and that he's writing to me from his Florida home. Really ? then how come there's a Royal Mail 1st class stamp and postmarks on the envelope ?

No. 2
18th Jul 2003, 17:02
Dr-Evil,

Direct mailing? Interesting. Unfortunately that too has already been done.

No. 2

steamchicken
22nd Jul 2003, 19:06
Get rich quick!!! with the infallible Dr Chesty von Steamovich's revolutionary emu egg futures predicting system - just photocopy this very piece of warranted superfine made-up - yes, really - junk mail offering get rich quick courses for £200 a throw and send it to numerous poor people!!! YOU CAN'T LOSE*!!! Our unique prize benefits verification system has ALREADY pre-authorisated your personal wealth account with us, so DON'T DELAY - PAY UP TODAY!!!

(*unless they find out your home address and beat the living sh*t out of you, the cops do you for deception, etc)

Cruel, I know, but that's the only way to make money out of junk mail....