PDA

View Full Version : Mayday

Woodpidgeon
10th Jul 2003, 20:17
Flying northbound over northern Germany last night I heard a Mayday call on 121.5, apparently the guy had an engine fire. This was possibly a practise because the guy was cleared immediately by ATC onto runway 06 ( I believe ). But the best bit was that someone then proceeded to give a full standard Nigel departure brief to pax on 121.5. If the mayday was for real that would have slowed the system down a bit.

ORAC
10th Jul 2003, 20:46
There is no such thing as a practice Mayday.

You can have Practice Pan calls, but the Mayday call is expressly forbidden except in the case of a genuine emergency.

Woodpidgeon
12th Jul 2003, 01:33
Fair enough. I remember in my PPL days having to practice it but it was along while ago. But it was definately sent, followed by the PA, but I have seen nothing in the press etc which surprises me. Possibly Military?

maxy101
12th Jul 2003, 16:05
Woodpigeon, How do you know it was a Nigel?

Woodpidgeon
12th Jul 2003, 20:02
I don't, but as I position regularly with BA, there is a pattern to their PA,s. As I have made 100,s in my time I listen with professional interest and possible self improvement. I presume their format comes from some sort of company standardisation which is fair enough, but it sure sounded like a BA pax announcement to me. I can assure you there was no racial motivation in my original thread, just amazing coincidence that these two things could happen the way they did. At the time I turned the speaker on so others on the flight deck could hear and we discussed what had happened at length, just thought I would share the experience with you.

Stelios
12th Jul 2003, 20:44
When I do a PA, I always say "...and welcome on board this XXXX flight to ZZZZ".
Welcome PAs do mention the airline normally, unless you've missed the first few words perhaps?

maxy101
13th Jul 2003, 01:56
If he´s on 121.5 he is probably airborne, therefore it´s an inflight PA. I work for BA , but my PA´s are completely "random".....