PDA

View Full Version : Flying on an FAA PPL/IR?

niallcooney
9th Jul 2003, 22:48
Guys,

I'm more then pleased to be able to come back to this forum after a long absence with a few questions. My vision is such that the best I can do is an FAA Class Three medical, which apparently entitles me to a PPL and an IR in the US, which is more then I ever dreamed of after losing the chance of a Class One. Ok I hoped to be an airline pilot, but you can't have everything! My question is (since I can't find the answer on the Web):

What type of aircraft can I fly? The US regs say that I can fly anything with up to a 6000lb payload (which to my mind includes the L-39 Albatross and Citation I (both of which are certified for single crew ops I belive, or am I going insane?) Personally I'd prefer the L-39, it's one of my fantasies to own one. :cool:

Second of all, can I fly at all in Europe with an FAA PPL/IR? Does the aircraft had to be US registered? I assume I can train for an FAA PPL/IR somewhere in Europe?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's much appreciated. Now I just have to go save up :rolleyes: :mad: ;)

Nial

PS: Ok I've found some of the info. I can also get an ME rating I believe, any other ratings needed to be able to use my PPL/IR to it's full extent? I suppose there's no chance of getting a type rating on a B732 for fun?

FlyingForFun
9th Jul 2003, 22:53
Don't know exactly what the FAA PPL/IR entitles you to be able to fly - I'm sure someone else will.

As far as flying in Europe is concerned, though, here's my understanding. You can fly an N-registered aircraft anywhere in the world, and would have the full privileges of your PPL/IR.

For a non-N-registered aircraft, you would need to check the rules of the state of registry, and the state you are overflying. I think the UK CAA will allow you to use your PPL privileges on a G-registered aircraft in the UK without any further action. The IR would allow you to put an IMC rating on your UK PPL with no further training, but since you won't have a UK PPL that won't be any use to you, so I don't think you'll be able to make any use of your IR in the UK, although if you contact the CAA you may be able to get around this. You'll need to check with each state seperately.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

FFF
----------------

dorosenco
11th Jul 2003, 02:29
Niallcooney,

A FAA 3rd class entitles you to ANY FAA license that you want up to ATP including CPL and CFI/CFII/MEI etc ... etc ... etc. The only limitation will be that you CANNOT FLY FOR HIRE !!! That means being paid for flying. You can however instruct if you want to, flight instruction is not considered commercial operation.
Basically you can do whatever you want as long as it stays Part 91 operation and not Part 121 or 135.
Do not underestimate the power of a FAA 3rd Class, is not JAA here ! Welcome to the FREE WORLD !!! ;)
Also, you can get ANY type rating you want including B747 or A380. John Travolta, the actor, holds a PPL/IR/ME with a B707 PIC type rating on it. It's Part 91 operation...

Only problem, you can only fly US registered airplanes. There are some out there in Europe. Just look for them...

So,
The Sky is the Limit Luke Skywalker
:ok:

niallcooney
11th Jul 2003, 03:32
FFF, dorosenco,

Appreciate all the info, you've made my year guys! I'll just buy a November reg aircraft and truck around Europe in it. I never thought I'd say this, but thank god for the US! Here's to the day I get my A320 rating for fun!

:p :cool: :ok:
Nial