PDA

View Full Version : The long hard road out of hell...

Jarvis82
9th Jul 2003, 21:16
Hi everyone,

Never even having visited the pprune forums in over two and a half years of flight training (head in the sand? On another planet? Yeah, pretty accurate descriptions I would say!) I find myself directed here by a friendly gentleman from the CAA (shocked? I was too!).

My saga is a long and drawn out story which I will outline briefly before asking my golden questions. I was on an integrated course at a well known school for over two years, where I met the of the best friends of my life, and despite initially receiving some fantastic groundschool from very good instructors, I went on to pass only 10 of the 14 exams, before my 18 month envelope expired with one sitting left. The problem subjects were Systems, Principles of Flight, Performance, and Instruments.
Due to a good flying report I was allowed to begin a new envelope. But unfortunately, despite getting the Instruments exam nailed first go, the other three continued to be a struggle, and after two sittings, I still can't nail them.

During my first 18 month envelope I deserved to fail the exams, as lack of preparation was wholly to blame. Despite being of perfectly average intelligence, my academic life always consisted of 'coasting' along, head above the waves, doing just enough to stay afloat. A stupid approach, which may work for A-Levels, degrees etc, but certainly won't, and didn't, lead to success on an ATPL course. As was so often hammered into me by the hierarchy of my flight school, this was an attitude which did away with any chance of ever being taken on by an airline, but whilst not something I am proud of, I never wanted to fly jets, and see no reason why it should automatically negate me from completing my ATPL.

Did I say I would BRIEFLY outline my situation?!!

Anyway, I worked hard during my new envelope, albiet on my own, and without the help of instructors. Passing Instruments somewhat recharged me, and my faith in my ability was boosted. But after studying hard for the other three, and in particular Principles of Flight, in which I completed about 500 of the most recent feedback questions with not to much bother, and then seemingly 'imploding' when I sat the exams, has knocked my faith in my ability. During my first 18 month envelope I completed all the phase 2 subjects with marks in the high 80's, including the sometimes troublesome Met and Gen Nav...but here I sit, with my training discontinued, my current envelope only three months open, and with just two exams passed.

In a 'slap in the face' manner the pedantic attitude of my school upon discontinueing my training was that "I was wasting my time, and I should remember that I could not just turn up at another school and ask them if I could complete my ATPL with them". Very choice words as I handed over my security pass and was given my refund for all the IFR phase of training.

I considered downgrading to the CPL exams and doing an instructors rating, but a nice gentleman at the CAA advised me that what I had been told was rubbish, that plenty of people had been in similar situations, and that I should not give up.

So friends, any advice would be most appreciated! Since I only have 130 hours, (I would have in the region of 150 but I flew a reduced VFR course due to my PPL) I believe I need to get up to the magic 150 for entry to most Modular courses. So that is my plan for the next month or so, whilst at the same time investigating other schools for the purpose of at least completing my exams, but probably for the remainder of the flying as well.

But I remain somewhat pessamistic with regard to my chances, despite seeing some of my colleagues of a lesser ability than myself manage to complete the exams. I really am at a loss as too what to do about this problem. I hope that a new school, a fresh outlook, fresh faces, and above all MUCH increased time with instructors would be of enormous benefit. But I remain scared to death of my lack of progress with my problem subjects whilst at Oscar X-ray(!). Unless of course what I suspect is true, and that all my time in the books is of no use without the instructors telling me where the pit falls are...something the books can never do?

If anyone has managed to read through all of this...then I appreciate it! And if anyone has any positive ideas or comments, then I would appreciate them also.

Kind regards.

Jarv.

FlyingForFun
9th Jul 2003, 21:33
Hi Jarv - welcome to PPRuNe!

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the "magic 150 for entry to most Modular courses". If we're talking about ground-school, the only requirement is to have a PPL. So go for it!

You've got a good idea of what's involved in the exams by now. There are basically two ways of studying in the modular world - residential, or distance-learning.

Residential full-time courses would, I imagine, work in a similar way to the ground-school training on your integrated course. You turn up for class each day, study with other students, have the support of your instructors and fellow students being around you.

Distance learning is generally the harder option. You get a set of notes to take home and study in your own time. Before the exams, you get to spend some time (2 weeks, usually) at the school doing a "brush-up", which basically reminds you of all the stuff you've forgotten from the start of the course, and then overloads you with enough feedback and practice exams that you're ready for the real thing.

Generally, I would suggest the residential course (unless either money or time precludes it, which doesn't seem to be the case for you). But in your case, since you've already had a go at classroom training, and haven't managed to achieve what you want to achieve, maybe the distance learning would suit you better? Only you can decide that - it seems that youv'e got a good graps on your own strengths and weaknesses, so think it through carefully and decide which to go for.

Once you've made your mind up (or even before you've made your mind up) have a look at the list of approved schools (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf) and contact all of them that offer the type of course you want. (If you haven't made up your mind yet, then contact a selection of residential and distance learning schools.) Tell them your situation, ask what they recommend and what support they'd be able to provide you, and go with whichever one gives you the best feeling that they're going to take care of your specific needs.

As for the hours requirements - there are requirements that you have to meet before you can start the CPL flying training, but let's get the exams out of the way first!

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

FFF
----------------

Watchoutbelow
10th Jul 2003, 04:03
Jarvis

I wouldn't consider myself the sharpest tool in the shed, far from it!
But the I think the key to passing instruments is understanding the Electrics involved in Aircraft General. Gyros, Pitot acceleration errors and all that are easy enough, there are plenty of feedback questions to prepare yourself. Its the electrics the Capacitive and inductive reaction are the tricky ones that you must understand completely, very nearly tripped me up.
(remember C I V I L? in Capacitive induction, current leads voltage, inductive volt leads current? or something!)

So my advice is, out with the highligter pen and highlight like there is no tomorrow!!
Keep your chin up, with the right atitude and determination you will get there, just make sure you are as best prepared as you possibly can be, do not waste another sitting if you are not at least 90% confident (You should never be 100% confident.)

This may not be much use to you but just thought I would my tuppence worth