PDA

View Full Version : Rumour of Easyjet expansion at East Midlands

Simon Lumley
9th Jul 2003, 20:32
Does anybody know of any rumours or confirmed news stories of Easyjet expanding out of EMA this winter 2003/4.

Their winter programme will be out within 2 weeks.

Cheers.

EMACargo
13th Aug 2003, 19:28
has anyone heard anything new and also about FR/Ryanair starting flights soon from EMA :confused:

bmibaby.com
13th Aug 2003, 22:33
Let me tell you some of the rumors I have heard from various sources (including bmibaby crews, Kiss handling agents and the guys in the hobby shop).

1. EasyJet will be replacing the four ex-Go Boeing 737-300s that are based at EMA and will be replacing them with seven-eight Boeing 737-700 aircraft.
Possible new routes include; Paris CDG, Nice, Madrid, Palma and Rome.

2. Ryanair has been rumored to be looking at making EMA and NCL "focus cities" ie they dont base a/c there but they fly there from all of their existing bases. So we could well see Dublin, Hahn etc. in the future.

3. When Snowflake launched flights this year they said they would not open routes in 2003 in the UK due to the heavy competition there already, however we could see from the start of the new summer season at least a once daily flight from Copenhagen and Stockholm.

4. EMA is still trying to attract more low fare and regional airlines especially from Germany and the Germanic region.

RealFish
14th Aug 2003, 01:23
There should be no further expansion of anything (except NSLF) at EMA until they (someone) sorts out the s*** hole .

Twice this year I've had the misfortune to spend an hour plus trying to get out of a/c / airport, hanging around for buses and waiting for conflicting crocodiles of ariving / departing pax making their way to and from a/c.

Earlier this week the baggage reclaim was almost completely gridlocked unable to cope with the sheer number of arivals with angry pax directed to one carousell after another.

There were even angrier pax at the bus stops with insufficient vehicles to get people to the car parks.

I wonder if it was any coincidence that the luggage trolley I was using was from MAN my other 'favourite' airport.

I'm sure that the good folk of EMA are very nice people, but for God's sake no more traffic.

bmibaby.com
14th Aug 2003, 03:32
What I don't understand about East Midlands Airport is that
we've expanded the number of check-in desks to cope with the extra passengers, but we haven't increased the amount of room air-side or in the baggage reclaim hall.

Obviously this will be fixed shortly, as I doubt EMA will be getting a brand new terminal, though I agree it would be a nice idea!

EMACargo
14th Aug 2003, 05:17
cool rumours.

Be good to see all the rumours come true but how many of you can see this happening.

Regards

Stu

cesspit
14th Aug 2003, 17:22
Ah, reminds me of Luton when Easyjet were starting to become big there, the place was like a cattle market.

I just hope that when East Mids put in a new terminal they don't follow Luton's example of building what seems to be like a factory unit with no windows or natural light.

Buster the Bear
14th Aug 2003, 18:12
It is not a factory, there are plenty of empty ones along Kimpton Road.

It is in fact the worlds first Tinminal! The design actually allowed for masses of glass, but this was "Cost engineered" out of the project.

Even though it is basic, Stelios did accuse the airport operator of building a Taj Mahal, when all he wanted was a bus station!

WHBM
14th Aug 2003, 18:51
If you want a "Tinminal" the best example is Heathrow Terminal 1 Gates 80-89, the ones used for Ireland.

I call it the cowshed.

bmibaby.com
14th Aug 2003, 21:48
I personally don't think that Ryanair would choose EMA as a "focus city".

I think they would have arrived by now especially with bmibaby flying to Cork and Dublin from EMA, Ryanair usually snaps immediately, so I think they may choose BHX or NCL.

I think Snowflake will definately come in. If I'm right in saying SAS still has a stake in bmi, and I'm sure that the low cost airlines from the two Star partners would want to work side-by-side. As I think I've mentioned on the board before, the low fare airlines from Star Alliance may be working together more closely in the future.

Does anyone know anything about bmi regional coming back "en masse" to EMA? Heard bmi had lost loads of business passengers to BA because of baby not offering diamond club miles, and bmi regional wants back on the business routes to BRU (confirmed), CDG, AMS and the Scottish routes?

ALLMCC
14th Aug 2003, 22:46
I also heard that BMI were considering reinstating BHD/EMA which ceased last year when baby started from BFS - understand always had good loads & that passengers were less than happy about losing club miles.

EasyServis
16th Aug 2003, 06:12
I cannot confirm that EasyJet will be replacing its fleet of Boeing 737-300s with Boeing 737-700s, however I can confirm that there will be a significant growth of EasyJet capacity next summer.

As you will all know, EasyJet has not added a route from EMA since last October, however when the summer seats come on sale in mid-December it is likely you will see:

Madrid and Palma in Spain
Milan and Rome in Italy
Paris and Nice in France

Also it is likely that EasyJet Switzerland will be adding a once daily flight from Zurich, to compete with swiss' 2x daily Zurich flight to BHX.

EMACargo
19th Aug 2003, 01:47
Madrid would be a very good route as would the french routes.

What about Scandanavian routes and routes to Athens.

Also will EMA become EZY's 3 biggest base in the UK or will they also concentrate on BRS and NCL??

Regards

Stu

EasyServis
19th Aug 2003, 17:21
EasyJet only fly to Copenhagen in the Scandinavian region and to the best of my knowledge there is no plans to add Copenhagen to the EMA route network.

All airports will experience growth, EMA/BRS are not being left out, however there will definately be a lot of concentration on growing the Newcastle operation as well as making an existing European destination an EasyJet base.

As I said, I dont know what the aircraft type will be, however there will be expansion from the current 4 aircraft to 6-8, and there will be a number of new routes, but not until next summer.

Well, thats what the EasyJet/Servisair rumor mill is saying to us right now! :)

EMACargo
21st Sep 2003, 20:18
Anymore information on any of these previous posts.

Cheers

Stu

transwede
22nd Sep 2003, 01:39
Seems the easy rumour mill at EMA is similar to that at NCL.

Rumours from the ground agents has it that 2 737-700 aircraft will arrive in jan and march to open up new routes to PMI, AGP, NCE and GVA, with an extra daily rotation to CDG, considering FlyBE are pulling capacity. Even Rome and CPH has been mentioned. If AGP is added a -700 is needed as a 300 would never make it! ATH would be a cracking route out of NCL, however a 700 is needed. My only thought is that the airport would need a hell of alot more check ins, not to mention coaches for remote parking.

It is great to see airlines like easy and ryan expanding at airports like BRS, EMA and NCL and offering decent destinations. If airlines like these didnt use regional airports they would still be domestic and charter airports.

Out of interest where do easy operate to out of EMA?

Navy_Adversary
22nd Sep 2003, 06:31
For the summer of 2004 Easy should seriously think about flying EMA to Tallinn, this is the new Prague and I'm sure a 737-7 would have no problems with distance.
There is only 1 direct flight a day from the UK to TLL, that is Air Estonia from LGW, and as they are the only airline flying to Estonia then the fare prices hold up well.
This route would only be popular in the summer, probably 4 or 5 flights a week, tuesday and wednesday excepted.:ok:

symphonyangel
23rd Sep 2003, 04:22
Any rumours on ezy expansion at Liverpool. I don't think they've added any one of the Go destinations from there, such as Praque, Munich, Italy, yet they fly to all their other points. Surely Liverpool must be due 2-3 more ezy aircraft in the New Year?

GrahamK
23rd Sep 2003, 06:35
Transwede
Im pretty sure a 737-300 should have no problems doing NCL-AGP nonstop.

transwede
24th Sep 2003, 16:57
Some of easy's 737-300 are only 20k engines, so people can correct me if I am wrong, but taking off towards the city with a full load of pax and baggage would be a BIG struggle for the -300 out of NCL.

P.S. Any truth that easy are going to open a base in Barcelona in time for next summer?

EMACargo
24th Sep 2003, 18:13
Transwede,

EZY fly to the GO destination such as EDI, GLA, BCN, ALC, FAO, GVA, AGP, PRG and VCE thats your lot. GVA being the exception thats an EZY destination.

We havent seen a new route since GVA started over a year ago.

Would ATH, AMS, MAD and MUC be good for EMA and an ORY route would be good.

Regards

Stu

MerchantVenturer
24th Sep 2003, 20:08
There is an unofficial Bristol Airport website where the webmaster is usually well informed about matters pertaining to BRS.

In his latest notes he says that the airport is expecting seven easyJet 737s to be based at BRS from next summer, an increase of two on the present total.

The airport is also to increase the number of aircraft stands to thirty by the end of the winter, by moving much of the general aviation to the south side of the runway, thus freeing up space for more commercial aircraft.

The present main (eastern) apron often seems brimfull first thing in the morning from my viewpoint as a pax.

They must address the terminal building next if easy and others are to significantly increase capacity. Although only three years old it is heaving at busy times. It was built so that it could be extended, and there is also the old terminal building, now used as offices.

So, it seems that easy is either starting or about to get bigger almost everywhere if rumours are to be believed.

Siggur
27th Sep 2003, 22:10
Maybe not really pertinent to the current thread but as a new recruit w Easy- anybody knows which bases fly the -700?

Thanks Siggur

Scottie
28th Sep 2003, 00:59
Welcome aboard Siggur, since you're from Scotland the only base at the mo with -700 is EDI. GLA is all -300, NCL maybe getting a -700. LPL, LGW, LTN EDI, BFS have or have had -700's

Siggur
28th Sep 2003, 01:16
Cheers Scottie!

Guess I´ll try to go for LTN, EDI and LPL then.

See ya on the flightdeck!

Siggur

Scottie
28th Sep 2003, 05:07
Apparantly there is no waiting list for EDI if you want to come here and the rosters are pretty stable, not a lot of variety in the flying though but a good bunch.

jettesen
28th Sep 2003, 16:54
LGW are mainly -700's. although from april nex year, it will all be 319 fleet out of there

Siggur
28th Sep 2003, 18:18
Yepp, LGW would be nice, but I´ve been told that´s apparently the only UK base that not available at the moment.

Wonder If there´s a website or a register where you could actually check what models and reg-numbers are currently at what bases?

Jettesen, any idea where the LGW -700s are going when LGW is becoming an all Airbus base?

Scottie
28th Sep 2003, 19:21
Aircraft are rotated around all the bases except the -300 bases of GLA and STN. Everywhere else will have -700 & -300 aircraft. Sometime they may only have -300's and sometimes only -700's.

Just varies so at most bases you'll get a mixture of -700 and -300 flying.

GW76
29th Sep 2003, 02:30
Didnt know GLA or EDI were classed as EZY bases.
Lets dredge up the old argument of why GLA base does not get any other routes, if its all about landing charges, why do they operate to all the other destinations from GLA, why not pull the plug on all the rest. Albeit I think LTN-GLA is one of there most successful.

egnxema
29th Sep 2003, 16:04
Great to hear all these rumours of easy/baby/snowy possibilities. The pressing need at EMA tho is the terminal - it's the pits!! Worked there for a while. The Check-in hall is great, but it is all down hill from there. What's with the new tent on the side?

I notice on the ICF Meeting minutes, published on the airport website, that Graham Keddie was asked about the submission of planning applications for a new terminal building. The submission date was due to be Sep '03.

Anyone heard anything about this? Anyone heard where the airport want to put a new terminal?

Regards

egnx

EMACargo
10th Oct 2003, 19:43
I have just heard about the CPH route from NCL being announced and the BRS route to CPH being announced shortley as long as is approved. Is there anything yet regarding expansion at EMA????

Thanks

Stu

Simon Lumley
13th Oct 2003, 19:29
I think that all new easyJet routes for EMA will be launched early January in time for summer 2004 and at the end of August 2004, in time for the winter 2004/5 schedule.

I have heard a rumour that easyJet will launch the following routes for Summer 2004:

- Belfast International
- Nice
- Palma

...and the following routes for winter 2004/5:

- Madrid
- Rome
- Paris CDG

:ok: :ok: :ok: