PDA

View Full Version : ATPL distance learning

oligoe
9th Jul 2003, 19:27
Hello,

Can somebody tell me how much time is approximatly needed per week to study the ATPL exams (distance learning), and if it is much more difficult to do it than on a full blocked ground school.

Thanks in advance,
Oligoe

FlyingForFun
9th Jul 2003, 19:33
The amount of time you spend per week is entirely up to you. It's possible to study full time, 40 hours a week or more, and it's possible to do just a few hours a week, or anything in between. Personally, I probably spent about 10-15 hours a week, although this is a bit of a guess because I didn't keep any records, and it took me 12 months to do all 14 subjects.

As to whether it's much more difficult than a residential course, I would imagine it is. Since most people have done one or the other, but not both, you'll probably find it hard to find realistic comparisons, but I would imagine that having other people around you to work with and discuss the subject matter with, as well as having a specific timetable where slowing down and never finishing isn't an option, would be huge benefits, and I would always recommend residential unless financial or time pressure means it's not an option. But I've heard of some people who are happier working at their own pace and prefer the distance learning - we're all different.

FFF
-----------

u848367
9th Jul 2003, 22:21
definitely do a Residential course if possible. If you can't make sure you get a sample of the notes. They will make you or break you. If they are well written and easy to understand then this will make your life 100 times easier. I personally can't see how schools can deal out the same notes to Residential students and Distance learning students...but who am I to question it.

FlyingForFun
9th Jul 2003, 22:28
u848367, I don't understand your post at all. It sounds like you're suggesting that a residential course would have better notes than a distance learning course, so you should make sure to get these "better" notes???

For the record, I did a distance learning course at Bristol. I completed all the exams in my planned timescale. I passed them all first time, with an average of over 90%. The only notes and feedback questions I used were the ones which Bristol issued me with. There is absolutely no need to get another set of notes.

I can't see any reason why a school shouldn't use the same notes for distance learning as for residential. If anything, I would expect that a school which only does a residential might be able to get away with inferior notes, because the students will be in regular contact with instructors who can fill in any gaps. Not saying that is the case with any particular school, just that it might be possible.

FFF
-------------

Edit because, having re-read your post, u848367, I realise that I completely mis-interpreted it - and that all you are suggesting is that Oligoe should get a sample of the notes from his potential distance learning school. I agree 100% with that! :O

Have left my post in place, though, because it contains a useful comparison even though it's in reply to a misunderstanding!