PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Billboards at Southampton today

eurostar builder
9th Jul 2003, 08:42
FLYBE FACE MASS EXODUS FROM SOUTHAMPTON AFTER CHEEKY RYANAIR RAID

flybe are facing a mass exodus of passengers from Southampton Airport after a cheeky dawn raid by rivals Ryanair today.

flybe's high fares to Dublin were exposed by a Bournemouth-based Ryanair hit squad who used a large adtrailer which they parked outside Southampton's terminal building.

Passengers arriving for flybe's Irish flight were reminded that it was far cheaper to fly with Ryanair from nearby Bournemouth Airport.

Ryanair's Promotions Executive Annette McGarry masterminded the flybe blitz.

"It was time to point out to flybe passengers that they're being ripped off on the Dublin service. With Ryanair from Bournemouth it's just £19 one way but with flybe it can be as much as £29. Why pay more?

"Our simple message - which left flybe staff fuming - was that we're much cheaper. They were furious at being embarrassed by us in front of their passengers, but the truth hurts.

"Pathetically, they even called the Police who asked us nicely to move on, which we did, but by that time we had made our point.

"So the result of the dawn swoop on Southampton: Ryanair 1 flybe 0. No contest!"

Gonzo
9th Jul 2003, 14:39
Ryaniar from £19
FlyBe as much as £29

Hmmmmmm. Wonder which one is cheaper for those who don't book six months in advance?

Avman
9th Jul 2003, 14:59
Just made fare requests for dep 14/7 rtn 15/7 and it came to:

154.22 pounds with FlyBe
90.52 pounds with Ryanair

However, a morning and evening flight is available with FlyBE but only a single late afternoon flight with RYR. So, I would say RYR is the better bet for leisure travellers but FlyBE is the better option for the business traveller.

tailscrape
9th Jul 2003, 17:57
It must cost nearly the extra £10 in petrol to get to BOH from SOU..... unless you live in the middle.

stevobeevo
9th Jul 2003, 22:36
Tailscrape, What on Earth are you driving. £10 of petrol should get you at least 80 miles. BOH is only a 30 min drive from SOU.
:D

thedude
10th Jul 2003, 17:11
Every time I see the latest style of Ryan advertising, I get the same sort of feeling that I would get, if I was to stand in a pile of fresh dog crap.
Because of this, one day they will hit hard times and there will be stifled laughter and applause throughout the European airline industry.:cool:

newswatcher
10th Jul 2003, 17:53
Very selective of Ryanair, as usual!

Suppose I was planning a last minute long weekend in Dublin, out Friday evening(11/7), back late Monday(14/7).

Ryanair - £149.99 + £49.99
Flybe - £76 + £76

both w/o taxes etc!

and Avman, your trip would now be c£206 with flybe and £80 with Ryanair, again w/o taxes etc.

eng123
11th Jul 2003, 07:31
How often do you 'plan' a last minute trip newswatcher.The 'last minute' bit is the key to the argument.Everybody knows there are no cheap late booking deals with Ryanair.I noticed the Ryan price was cheaper for the return trip,booked with a bit of time in hand.
Surely this goes to prove the Ryanair advertising stunt was telling the truth?? :)

Sunshine Express
11th Jul 2003, 08:32
Is this Ryan Air's service to Dublin from central London?

Nice try, when your employers advertising doesn't work.....

newswatcher
11th Jul 2003, 15:36
eng123, not sure you understood me. Avman confirmed that Ryanair were cheaper for a trip early next week, so I thought it would be interesting to show that the balance was the other way over the weekend. Sadly not able to make this trip myself! Note my footnote that showed Ryanair got even cheaper!

Dropping the "last minute" element, if I forecast to October, I can actually get "one way" fares with Flybe as low as £10.50, so how does Ryanair justify their claim against that? :confused:

CaptAirProx
11th Jul 2003, 18:06
Reminds me of last year in Belfast. Easyjet and flybe started a bum fight with similar bill boards damning each other.

Just goes to show that despite whoever is the cheaper, competition hurts Ryanair from time to time.

AhhhVC813
12th Jul 2003, 03:15
Petrol is hardly the true cost of using a car. At least 20p a mile for any car is a starting point, that's a whole six quid each way. If you've got something new it's more like 40-50p a mile. There's your tenner gone. Still, makes implicit sense doesn't it? Save four quid and drive from A to go to B, despite their being a flight at A? No thanks very much.

eurostar builder
22nd Jul 2003, 15:29
Looks like Flybe is playing at Ryanair tricks by placing a poster at Bournemouth Airport..

saying fly dublin from Southampton...

:ok:

Joe Curry
23rd Jul 2003, 00:02
>>Petrol is hardly the true cost of using a car. At least 20p a mile for any car is a starting point, <<

There are also parking charges to take into account. :ugh:

Diamond 'katana' geezer
23rd Jul 2003, 00:46
there are adverts all over the Bournemouth Echo over the last few days from flybe. stating

"flybe is no.1 to dublin!"

"20% more people, and rising, take flybe. to dublin than ryanair!"

ladies......please!!!

;)

Exel
23rd Jul 2003, 00:59
And now FLYbe have resorted to copy-cat tactics by placing a mobile advertisement on the main dual-carraigeway into/out of Bournemouth at the Airport Junction !!!

Wonder if it actually visited the airport ???

stevobeevo
23rd Jul 2003, 03:23
Flybe better watch out. We all know what happened to the last airline who tried to swim in the same pond with Ryanair, they buzzed off (sorry for the pun!).

Flybe have stated that they are looking for a buyer and if a posting on another thread is correct MOL has plans to 'punish' Flybe for opening up at SOU.

CaptAirProx
24th Jul 2003, 17:49
Flybe are not looking for a buyer but further investment for their future plans.

Bring it on Ryanair.......whatever

boredcounter
26th Jul 2003, 06:02
..................along with all the European LCC survivors, what next.
Offer incentives to pax, like fully refundable tickets, better food and FFP. Hmmmmm guess we have been here before.
LCC's need to milk it while they can, the competition is arriving from the other end.

But on the advert front, have flybe turned up at a UK airport, complete with 'tank', as aviation worldwide still lives with it's biggest and longest lasting security scare?

I am no fan of either, nor axe grinder against either, but flybe does what it sais on the tin, has a global maint deal, and does not sell as a LCC. It sells seats cheap.

It will be a fair fight when the first FR arrives with a G- regn is a quote I heard of late.

eurostar builder
26th Jul 2003, 20:01
Heard today that Hahn - Bournemouth might be pulled off shortly.

Anyone anymore on this,is this to clear space for another few routes...

Umm Flybe...:ooh:

MerchantVenturer
26th Jul 2003, 23:59
eurostar builder,

This was discussed recently within this forum under the topic, 'Bournemouth airport is on the brink of something big'.

The consensus was that the route was being pulled for the winter.