PDA

View Full Version : Perranporth Airfield

turnoffthepapis
9th Jul 2003, 03:18
Anybody let me know of any experiences flying into perranporth. Has anyone flown in and not been able to get out because of weather????

Alastair B
9th Jul 2003, 04:05
Hi,

A few of us went to Perranporth a couple of weeks ago - my first time over Cornwall and it was a great flight.

My landing over the 300ft cliffs was er - interesting! I felt a bit better when I got out and felt how gusty it was. Then someone told me they were impressed with by assertive "no flare" technique - :\

The field is very laid back - it took a lot longer than we planned for to get refueled - we were after some other aircraft and the process is a little long winded.

Lunch at - er - I think it was called the Driftwood - 20 minutes taxi ride down the road overlooking the beach. Again - taxis seem a little laid back, you can apparently ask for one to be ordered over the radio, which is probably a good idea.

Other than higher wind speeds caused by the coast I can't see why the weather there would be any worse than other UK airfields - and that only really causes problems getting in!

Many recommend Lands End as a Cornish alternative - never been there so I can't compare them.

Have fun :ok:

Ali

turnoffthepapis
9th Jul 2003, 06:30
Ali

Sounds like a gas! I know the driftwood, family used to stay there a while back but its a little more busy now for us quiet folk. My g/f and I stayed a t St.Georges only 5 mins walk from airfield and it was a stay to remember. Thanks for your comments though!!:E

Timothy
9th Jul 2003, 06:49
In bad weather, shoot the ILS at St Mawgam, at the cloudbase continue the runway heading to the coast, turn left follow the coast, flare and land.

Piece of p1ss! ;)

No, really!

W

Spiney Norman
9th Jul 2003, 18:53
If you've got the time, the cliff walk down to Perranporth is very spectacular! Don't even think about walking back after lunch though!

Spiney

QDMQDMQDM
9th Jul 2003, 19:03
Nice field, friendly, noise-sensitive. The walk down to St. Agnes is atmospheric, past the old dispersals.

Recommended.

David