PDA

View Full Version : Bird Strikes

HelenD
7th Jul 2003, 01:28
I had a bird strike yesterday on an ATC initiated go arround at EGBJ. No damage was caused but I believe that all birdstrikes have to be reported. If this is the case is it the airfield the pilot or the aircraft owner that does the reporting? If I have to report it can I do so by phone?

bluskis
7th Jul 2003, 02:23
Wont they want to know the species of bird, together with a sample of feather?

Do post more detail, like did you have time or space to try avoiding, did the bird try to avoid, up or down or sideways. Was it one or part of a flock.

Hope the damage wasnt too bad.

HelenD
7th Jul 2003, 02:38
Think the bird was a swallow or a swift, well thats what my passanger reckond. I was only about 400ft off the ground so wasnt able to avoid it. Thankfully there was no apparent damage it hit the windshield infront of me

IO540
7th Jul 2003, 04:00
I could be wrong but I don't think there is mandatory reporting of bird strikes which don't cause an incident. I've had a few which did not cause damage although presumably the bird would have got killed. One must tell ATC immediately so they can check the runway for debris (leftovers of the bird, or perhaps something that came off your plane before you got a chance to check it, which could damage the landing gear of the next plane landing after you). You can't avoid a bird hitting you by maneovering; all you can do is leave the lights on after takeoff and most birds won't go near you anyway.

vintage ATCO
7th Jul 2003, 04:11
It is requested that all birdstrikes are reported. It isn't mandatory but it does help spot trends, changing species etc.

You should do so form CA1282 and that is available on the CAA website here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRGCA1282.pdf

vintage ATCO
www.stevelevien.com

AlanM
7th Jul 2003, 15:38
And a recent AIC here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4P050.PDF)

fu 24 950
7th Jul 2003, 21:45
IO540,, you wrote,, you can't avoid a bird hitting you by maneovering, Sorry, but what sort of crap statement is that

stillin1
7th Jul 2003, 22:45
Be nice.

He actually manoeuvred into the bird he hit!!
We just presume - not on purpose.:}

mad_jock
7th Jul 2003, 23:13
I always work on the principle of the bird is better at flying and more manouverable than I am. And by trying to manouver the plane you are just adding in more variables that the bird has to contend with.

Also at 400ft you don't have alot of height to play with so i would much prefer to keep the wings level.

I have had what felt like a frozen chicken bounce off the outside leading edge (I didn't know where it had hit at the time) of a C172 miles away from anywhere. And its not something I had ever been taught how to deal with. The plane was still flying with no apparent wing drop or yaw or drop in cruise speed. So i just carried on to my home field. I still to this day don't know if it was wise or not.

It had caved in one third of the leading edge and had actually folded metal down underneith the wing. The Engineer who came to check it before flying it to maint, just hit it with a hammer until it was nearly back in shape with the help of a drill and some screws and covered it with speed tape.

To be honest I was amazed how much damage had been done without it effecting the performance of the plane. Sturdy beasts them C172's

MJ

And i would always submit a form even if there isn't damage they don't come chasing afteryou.

HelenD
8th Jul 2003, 02:29
Well found the form and filled it in. Its now in the post. I guess if I have missed any required information they will contact me.

bluskis
30th Jul 2003, 03:06
I had an AIRPROX with a Black Kite during last week. We were about 12 ft apart, and his wingspan is 5 ft. As they are supposed to, he/she dived, although that may have been an optical illusion resulting from my sharp pull up and right turn. Looked as big as I have ever seen a bird, and it is probably as well that his/her back wasn't turned towards me. No warning from the radar service I was getting either.

Saab Dastard
30th Jul 2003, 03:11
I hope you sent a report to CHIRP ;)

It will soon be mandatory for birds to wear hi-viz jackets to prevent this kind of incident. :p

SD

Kolibear
30th Jul 2003, 03:32
Having been a bit of a birding anorak for the last 30 years, I have to confess to having a mental list of 'Birds seen from the Cockpit' :O

Most birds fly below about 300' so the chances of a birdstrike are highest on landing or takeoff. Birds travelling between feeding and roosting areas, eg. Gulls moving from reservoir to coast tend to fly higher, up around 500-800' and are often encountered i nsmall groups.

The highest I've ever encountered birds is a flock of Swifts at 1200', but they are the true masters of the airand spent all day on the wing, so thats only to be expected.

Migrating birds travel high and at night, normally during April-May and August-September.

AerBabe
30th Jul 2003, 15:39
Is this what 'feathering the prop' means?
What is the squawk for a bird strike?

:( Sorry.

LowNSlow
30th Jul 2003, 16:31
And so you should be AB :ooh: :ooh:

Only ever bumped into one and that was one of the crows that live on the end of White Waltham's runways. Trundling down the approach on my solo cirsuits in a Grumman AA-5A and the flock of crows eventually see the landing lights and chose to take to the air. One of them wasn't too smart and managed to hit the aeroplane. I pulled off the runway and got out to check for damage but quickly realised that the blood on the undercarriage leg was probably where the bird had hit and there was no damage. Reported incident to aircraft owner and airfield operators who seemed remarkably indifferent. Does WW still suffer from excessive crows?

HelenD it's worth checking the windscreen for hairline cracks.

gasax
30th Jul 2003, 18:11
My two pence worth!

At 400 feet, presuming no lfaps etc you could probably avoid a large bird - avoiding a swallow or something that size - be bloody hard to spot it - particularly with their speed and maneourvability (oops!).

These smaller birds can do some damage but they should n't spoil your day. Once ytou get to seagulls and larger then the damage can be substantial. One of the local club 152s hit a gull which took out the windscreen and literally exploded in the cockpit, there are still photos knocking around showing the mess. More seriously one of them was injured, probably by the screen. So trying to avoid the ones you see is a good idea!

But on a much brighter note I encountered two eagles sparring at around 1500 a few years ago on the West coast. They locked talons and whirled down spinning around each other . I followed in my trusty stead and was able to just keep with them in a very steep spiral dive. Amazing experience (particularly recovering at not a lot of feet!). Only ever seen one since - on telly!!!

Dop
30th Jul 2003, 18:36
I had a bit of a shock at Biggin the other weekend when I was turning downwind entering the circuit, and a gull flew past just a few yards in front.
"Where the heck did that come from?" I said! Obviously I'd been looking out for other planes, but the gull that close surprised me...

"Don't normally see them that close", said my instructor. "I bet that gave it a bit of a shock."

"Gave IT a shocK?" I thought...

QNH 1013
30th Jul 2003, 18:56
I hit a seagull last Friday, or rather the seagull hit me. It seemed to be almost head-on and was all over before I had any time to react. The bird suddenly appeared a few feet above the aircraft and dived below and to our left, followed by a loud thud. I assumed it had hit the left wheel, which it had, only just missing the prop arc. My airspeed at the time was 120 knots, and height over the sea was 500 feet between Stronsay and Papa Westray in the Orkneys. Certainly gave us cause for thought. It wasn't part of a flock, just a lone (now late) bird.

Sent the form off today; thanks for the reference and link Vintage ATCO!

Viggen
30th Jul 2003, 20:54
couple of years ago after a touch & go in a Grob at Barton, I disturbed a flock of pigeons who were feasting on the re-seeded airfield. Got 2 or 3 of them in the prop and had to fly a tight circuit whilst enjoying the smell of roast pigeon / scorched feathers wafting through the air vents...

The airfield fire truck was often pressed into action as a bird-scarer, but apparently the pigeons in question were not scared of it!

david viewing
30th Jul 2003, 21:06
I passed quite close to a big hawk like bird at 2000' over the horshoe bend on the Severn last month. He was circling, presumably in a thermal, and wasn't at all concerned about me.

But I was once CHASED by a big black bird in monument valley. I could see him quite clearly out of the back windows of my 152 coming after me at 70kt as I flew level with his perch in one of the towers.

(OK, some wag already asked what he was squawking)

Lowtimer
30th Jul 2003, 23:20
Only twice have I been concerned about birds when higher than about 500' AGL. A couple of weekends ago I was climbing through 2500' just south-east of Bagby in North Yorkshire when I saw a large duck or goose a couple of hundred feet above me in the 11 o'clock, heading amost parallel but moving slowly left-to-right. I had clear space ahead and below so dived under him until he was well behind.

DamienB
30th Jul 2003, 23:37
Friend of mine had a close call with a flock of seagulls (really!) on approach at the weekend. Lots of unrepeatable swearing afterwards, as one of the gulls had obviously been pretty scared by the near miss, and had clearly had a heavy meal earlier in the day... :yuk:

Bo Nalls
31st Jul 2003, 03:04
For those with little knowledge of birdstrikes this (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/224/ssl10.pdf) is a very good document to read :ok:

DBChopper
31st Jul 2003, 07:09
My PPL(H) instructor managed to "hop" us over a flock of starlings (I think) approaching the heli strip at Redhill a few years back. I hadn't even seen then until the last moment, so I'm pretty sure that without that manoeuver we'd have created some shredded tweet.

(why is it that only the birds get to go on strike, then?)

:E

LowNSlow
1st Aug 2003, 06:42
From my dubious degraded memory banks, the highest recorded birdstrike was in a DC-9 (probably) over the Andes (definitely) at around 30,000' (give or take a few) and the bird was a condor (sure of that one). Apparently they couldn't figure out why the engine had suffered a spectacular failure until one of the engineers found some feathers lodged in the whirring bits.......

Lucky I don't fly that high :ok:

gasax
1st Aug 2003, 18:20
There was also one at a similar height over the Atlantic.

From memory a goose of some description, destroyed the nose cone, radar and buckled the pressure bulkhead!!!

Warped Factor
1st Aug 2003, 18:54
http://www.bartholomew.co.uk/birdstrike2.jpg

WF.