PDA

View Full Version : A320 GROUND SPOILERS

AIRBUS58
13th Nov 2000, 21:28
TO AIRBUS PILOTS:

I KNOW THE SPEEDBRAKE LEVER ARM THE GROUND SPOILERS.

WHEN YOU OPERATE THE SPEEDBRAKE LEVER ON THE GROUND ,DO ALL THE SPOILERS OPERATE ?

Cmdr Data
13th Nov 2000, 22:16
All the spoilers operate when used as ground spoilers.

Silky
14th Nov 2000, 03:37
Hate to correct you but as far as I remember only four are used if spoliers are manually deployed on the ground and all if autodeflection occurs. Spolier deflection in auto is triggered by selection of reverse not IDLE on landing and with at least one main gear compressed in this case there is a thing called partial deflection till both mains are on the ground and then full deflection occurs. :) :) :)

------------------
Gravity always wins....

atomic
14th Nov 2000, 04:23
Just think of it this way: The handle controls the speed brakes and pulling it up arms the ground spoilers. Or to say it this way: It's the speed brake lever, but it also arms the groundspoilers. That's the basic idea. No it gets a bit more complicated, though, because you don't get speedbrakes with Flaps Full, on the 320 only about 1/2 of max deflection with the autopilot on, after touchdown with one wheel, there is only partial deflection until the other one is down and even if you don't arm the groundspoilers (again: by pulling the speedbrake lever up) you still get groundspoilers when one thrust lever is idle and the other at least idle reserve ......

atomic
14th Nov 2000, 04:29
.....and pulling the lever back during landing roll doesn't do much, just deflects one spoiler pair if the flaps are FULL, and deflects panels 1 - 4 with flaps less than full.

AIRBUS58
14th Nov 2000, 23:34
THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE SPOILERS.

ON THE GROUND IF YOU MOVE THE SPEEDBRAKE FROM RET TO FULL WILL ALL THE SPOILERS OPERATE OR JUST THE SPEEDBRAKE SPOILERS

Royan
15th Nov 2000, 01:16
A340-GROUND CONTROL SPLRS 1 TO 6 ACT AS GROUND SPLRS. I hope that answers your question.

CHAPARRAL
16th Nov 2000, 21:34
Airbus58
If your operate the speedbrake leaver MANUALLY on the ground you only get deployment of spoiler 1 (l+r).

CaptSensible
17th Nov 2000, 00:20
A Lufthansa A320 overran a runway during landing some time ago. The Captain attempted to deploy spoilers manually (due to no auto deploy)....as a result all he got was 'partial' deployment and a subsequent overrun. I believe a software change came in as a result of that accident which modified the normal 'auto spoiler deployment' criteria, but the manual slection still gives only partial extension.

This is one area where I prefer Boeing.

AIRBUS58
21st Nov 2000, 21:30
As Pilots on the ground if you pull the speedbrake lever from ret to full will all the ground spoilers operate ie 1to 5 on each wing or will it be just 2to 4 on each wing ?

AIRBUS58
26th Nov 2000, 17:30
When you operate the speedbrake lever manually on the ground you only get 1 to 4 deply ,why do you think 5 is left down ?

F/O Junior
26th Nov 2000, 18:08
As Chaparral already said correctly, you only get ONE spoiler (1 l+r)deployed on gnd with MANUAL opration of the lever

SchmiteGoBust
28th Nov 2000, 15:33
AIRBUS58,
On the ground spoilers 1 to 4 deploy.Spoiler no 5 remains retracted, but will extend with roll inputs on the sidestick as necessary. This is to give a degree of lateral control at high speeds, cross winds etc.
I'm certain this is right as I've just tried it on one of our aircraft.

I lurve technical questions!!!