PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Training

R E Darse
5th Jul 2003, 19:09
I am a military helicopter pilot who wishes to gain my ATPL (A). I am seeking a well respected modular Groudschool package in the UK that can cater for full time study. I wish to crack the exams asap and start getting the neccessary hours under my belt. Any help or offers please?

mad_jock
5th Jul 2003, 19:31
Bristol or Oxford seem to do the trick.

If you are doing it full time you will have to warn them first.

Sometimes depending on numbers they can struggle with full courses for the brush up.

good luck

MJ

Send Clowns
6th Jul 2003, 07:57
Bristol don't offer full-time courses.

As far as I know the only ones in the UK that do are:

Atlantic
BCFT
Cabair/EPTA
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies
London Guidhall
OATS

I would suggest you visit all those you would consider using. Look round, ask to talk to students, ask to look at the notes (they vary in quality). Ask about class sizes.

I have to declare an interest as I work for BCFT, but I also have been known to fly military helicopters, and wish you the best, however you achieve your licences.

coboat
6th Jul 2003, 14:17
I've had dealings with three groundschools in the past & it's BCFTC everytime for me.

Courses are a manageable size at the moment but will build with their reputation.Manuals & training staff are excellent, 'Send Clowns' being well respected.

No, I do not have any connection with BCFTC.

One last point, as you trawl around for the school you desire be careful of the prices quoted. Some schools will quote you a low price & then hit you with the dreaded VAT!!!

WX Man
6th Jul 2003, 22:36
FWIW, I was in the same situation as you and made my choice. Here's what lead me to it:

ATA (Coventry) - Didn't like the class notes
Atlantic (Coventry) - Didn't really consider seriously
Cabair (Cranfield) - Big class sizes, expensive to live. Advantages are that it's a university, with all the associated advantages
Cabair (Bournemouth) - Not too keen on for some reason, can't put my finger on it
OATS - Put off by cost
Glasgow CNS - It's in Glasgow!
LMU - Liked the 3 tier approach to sitting exams, times fitted in nicely, course nice and cheap, would be close to home & The
Wonderful Susie (my S.O.) but offset by cost of living.
BCFT - Good notes, good accomodation found, not too far away from home, potential to play hard (only if I study hard) and very reasonably priced.

Decision made:ok: