PDA

View Full Version : degree while distance learning ATPL

Pilot16
5th Jul 2003, 10:57
Hi,
Would it be asking too much from any able person to do the ATPL's while studying for a degree?

Im thinking of so many options now that Im nearing the time I will be applying to universities.

First of all, when I left school last year (already determined to become a professional pilot), I decided to do A-Levels. Now I think having a degree would secure me for life. And I am strongly giving thaughts to going for one. Perheps Aircraft Engineering at Kingston University (you earn a JAR-66 Class C licence with BEng degree).

I am nearly done with the PPL (will be doing solo qualifying x-country soon) and have done the Night requirements too. The completed AS-Level subjects are Physics, Electronics, Geography and English Literature. My age is 17.

Question is: Which is the better option now, I want your opinions and advise please :) :

1) Gap year and do the Residential ATPL at Metropolitan uni aka Guildhall. And then the degree.

2) Go streight to degree and do Distance Learning ATPL with Bristol while doing the degree, fly part time (Im seriously thinking about this
option)

3) Do Residential ATPL after A-Level, get fATPL, no degree and start hunting for a job... (perheps get an FI if not any other good flying job)

4) Degree first and then Residential ATPL

(I always wanted option 3, but now the light is on 2 for numerous reasons).

I am a reasonably motivated person, and have n airplane obsession ;)

Regards,
P16

Megaton
5th Jul 2003, 15:51
No point in doing ATPLs before degree since the exams have a three year shelf-life so they'll expire just as your finishing university. Besides, you'll have forgotten everything you've learnt by the time it comes to actually needing any of it.

ATPLs whilst at university is unrealistic unless: you're doing a course in basket-weaving; or you've a brain the size of a planet. ATPLs are not difficult but the volume is great enough to tax anyone. I guarantee that this route will lead to failure in degree, ATPLs or both.

Going straight to ATPLs, CPL/IR etc is fine if you're loaded or your parents will support you but it will cost £40 000 and you're not guaranteed a job at the end.

Best option really, if you've got the ability, is go to university, study something which will get you a job. Leave university, start work. You now quals to fall back on if aviation job market is depressed, you're not as good as you thought you were or you lose your med cat.

I most definitely would not try and do ATPLs and degree at the same time.

mad_jock
5th Jul 2003, 16:38
Why don't you have a look at that course that Leeds Flying school is involved in.

I believe they are in discussions with Bristol so you can complete the ATPL's while doing the degree.

MJ

KBaB
7th Jul 2003, 00:57
Seems like a big workload mate. Remember that most students (not sure if this applys to you) need to work part time in order to earn some beer money. Fitting uni, distance learning and maybes a part time job around could be tricky.

I went to Kingston uni (but left) because i hated computers (and only found this out when i started) I took a gap year and worked for a year.......i wasnt sure if i wanted to go back to uni or not so decided to start a Open Uni course and start my ppl at the same time.

I fit this in rather well, the O.U. works around certificates so can anytime go and re join a "normal" uni.

Ever thought about doing the degree part time? (i spend about 16hrs a week at home on it) or even thought about doing something like a HND?

Theres loads of options out there, not just the 4 or 5 youve spoke about but im sure youll get what you want in the end.

TIP THO, kingston uni.......DONT stay in Clayhill halls (yikes!)

KBaB

Pilot16
7th Jul 2003, 08:07
Thanks very much for the replies :) It was very helpful :D

I am now thinking about it hard. My option 2 is not that great afterall it seems like.

Im thinking of doing the degree course and then do the ATPL. I can always fly in my spare time while doing the degree course, and get an IR Multi etc. like I am doing now with the PPL and A-Levels.

At the end of it all, on a pilot's CV
a JAR 66 license and a degree in AC engineering wudnt look bad at all :cool:

Regards,
P16

Thanks mad jock,

Im checking out Leeds now.