PDA

View Full Version : Mona Information

In Altissimus
4th Jul 2003, 18:48
Anyone know where I can find up-to-date information on using Mona at the weekends?

Surprised to find nothing at all on the NATS/AIP website. Is there somewhere else to look for RAF base info?

Specifically, I need to know if it's very expensive, if I can park up overnight, and if can take friends for a few sightseeing trips from there over the weekend?

I know I can do all this from Caernarfon, but they're all Islanders and get a bit jumpy if they have to cross The Bridge!

Diolch.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jul 2003, 19:30
Try page 391 of the current issue of Pooleys.

G

greatorex
4th Jul 2003, 19:34
The following from Pooleys:

Runway 1666m 04/22 RH 04

Mona Flying Club: 01407 720581 or RAF Valley: 01407 762241 ex 7582

PPR from Staion Ops RAF Valley: 01407 762241 Ex 7540

Landing fee: MoD (RAF) Rates

Hope that helps!

G

In Altissimus
4th Jul 2003, 20:10
G - Thanks (!)

I wrongly assumed that it wouldn't be there if it's not on the AIP...

PhilD
4th Jul 2003, 21:01
Where can I find 'MoD rates'?

Spitoon
4th Jul 2003, 22:32
The AIP only lists civil licensed aerodromes these days.

There's progress for you.

Negative 'G'
5th Jul 2003, 02:44
I used to visit Mona quite often several years ago though always at weekends & unless things have changed I only used to phone the Mona flying club for PPR then drop in, pay about a fiver & have a Bacon butty or two..........sadly I hear that the cafe has now closed !

As far as I was aware the RAF run it during weekdays offering fire cover etc.. but at weekends the Mona flying club operate from there as an unlicensed field.

Neg G :D

Hippy
5th Jul 2003, 06:22
As an assistant at Valley/Mona waaaaay back, I can not remember a civil aircraft ever using the field when the RAF were using it (weekdays), not to say that it's not possible.

In Altissimus, if you want to use Mona at weekends, contact Mona Flying Club. Don't worry about MOD rates, they won't apply.

Croeso, Hippy.

In Altissimus
21st Jul 2003, 17:34
Well I did the trip this weekend as intended.

The people at Mona could not have been more welcoming.

Spoke to Ldn Info most of the way - no need to contact Valley at the weekend. Mixed it with a couple of (Hunter?) jets in the circuit:D

Had a tube blockage on departing, so a hasty return with no A/S or altlimeter - a gentle suck on the static source (and spitting out a quantity of water!) by one of the FI's at the clwb, and merrily back to Stapleford.

Total cost of landing/parking @ Mona - £5 :D

Had to pop in to Caernarfon on the way back for fuel - all very efficient and helpful there too.

Diolch yn fawr.