PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Usa

BobFlyer
4th Jul 2003, 04:18
Can anyone recommend good flying schools in USA. Does anyone know if you can do your PPL at Oxford Aviation in Tyler ?

Keygrip
4th Jul 2003, 06:25
Yes - Bob - you can do a JAA PPL at Tyler.

Chinchilla.612
4th Jul 2003, 22:31
Hiya Bob,
Yes there are a few good schools out in the USA. I'm not sure if you can do the PPL at Tyler through Oxford or not. I can strongly recommend a school in Tulsa Oklahoma though as in my opinion they are fantastic. Excellent instruction and they also look after you really well while you are there.
I'm out here doing the Multi IR with them at the moment and can't find a bad thing to say about them. There are three other Brits out here who are doign their PPL's and they are all loving it as much as I am. Much better than some of the horror stories you hear about some other places (one of which I found out the hard way).
If you want more details let me know.

My names Turkish
6th Jul 2003, 06:17
You may want to calrify a point for him Chinc. He said JAA, does the school in OK. do multi/IR JAA? If the answer is yes I'd like to hear about it as to the best of my knowledge there is no JAA IR training in the US apart from a limited amount done by OFT for the IAA(Irish Aviation Authority) I.R?

Chinchilla.612
6th Jul 2003, 23:21
Hiya,
Sorry, just to clarify on that one. There are only a couple of schools out in the States currently accepted by the JAA for training for a JAA licence (see the CAA website for a full list). I am doing the FAA Multi IR which then takes an approved 15 hour conversion back in the UK to convert it. That said however, it still costs considerably less than doing it all in the UK and they are teaching from the same syllabus and checklists at both the schools in the States and the conversion course back home so there shouldn't be too much of an issue with differences training other than RT procedures.
I'm not saying this is the best way for everyone, but with a limited budget I decided it was my best way forward.
Hope this helps.

Keygrip
7th Jul 2003, 03:55
Turkish..

JAA I/R "TRAINING" can be done at Delta Connection, Sanford; European Flight Training, Ft. Pierce and International Flight Training, Stuart (all in Florida) - and (I believe) at Tyler, Texas, too.

The subsequent TEST must be flown in JAA airspace.