PDA

View Full Version : BA002 landing pattern at LHR

amanoffewwords
4th Jul 2003, 02:29
Has something changed in the way BA002 occasionally lands at LHR - tonight was the second time I saw it flying low(ish) over the Wimbledon area and flying a perfect arc into LHR? Very unusual - as far as I know no other aircraft has done that in the past. Usually the ones that are visible from here do a straight east-west including, usually, Concorde.

It's quite dramatic to see - 1st thought it had a problem hence my earlier post in Rumours+News (now deleted).

amofw

gordonroxburgh
4th Jul 2003, 02:34
I'm sure its not the real reason; but it did get great TV coverage on the BBC as she swooped over the Wimbledon tennis championships :O

Its the best thing the BBC has said about her in a long time :ok:

amanoffewwords
4th Jul 2003, 02:39
In that case an AF Concorde would have been more appropriate today ;)

amanoffewwords
6th Jul 2003, 02:26
They did it again today, but from a different direction - would still be interested in knowing if this is official - can't see any mention anywhere in the press etc..

WOK
6th Jul 2003, 03:05
It was arranged today that, subject to ATC approval, Concorde would pay it's respects to Wimbledon since she won't be able to next year. :(

ATC did a great vectoring job until the crew could acquire Wimbledon visually. Thanks TC, especially given the other problems you had been dealing with.

The first occasion (two days ago?) was pure happenstance and not preplanned.

There were so many camera flashes going off in the stadium they were visible from 2300ft!

MerchantVenturer
6th Jul 2003, 05:40
Channel 4 television showed Concorde 'live' on a couple of days last summer heading into LHR over the Oval cricket ground during a test match.

I think the a/c was on a normal approach then and did not divert especially to the cricket match.

NineEighteen
6th Jul 2003, 06:31
I'm told she did a Chelsea Flower Show flypast too. Whether that was during nomal vectoring or a special event, I'm not sure.

ATCO Two
7th Jul 2003, 06:39
BAW002 flew over Wimbledon again today at 1500ft, for the last time as it won't be happening next year. It was done deliberately by Heathrow Approach, with appropriate
co-ordination with Thames Radar and SVFR.

DJBlackbird
7th Jul 2003, 06:46
Pity, i missed that. Heard about that it was on tv.
Anyone got a video capture of that scene? :D

maxy101
8th Jul 2003, 14:48
Wonder if the Captain had his written authority from the DOFC?