PDA

View Full Version : C172 Flap Indicators

C172Navigator
3rd Jul 2003, 06:22
My group C172 has a faulty flap indicator. Anyone installed an indicator from a manufacturer other than Cessna?

Visual Instruments in the USA make a LED indicator which is cheaper than the Cessna one, and seems much better, but it isn't certified by the JAA - /http://www.visualinstruments.com/

spudskier
3rd Jul 2003, 08:08
nope, but none of the 172s with flap indicators I've used have worked, no matter the brand until you get to 30 degrees.

Andrew Sinclair
3rd Jul 2003, 14:58
Hello C172Navigator,

It might be worth investigating changing the switch + indicator for a gated flap selector. I used to fly a C172P which had a gated flap selector but no indicator. Now I am in a group with a Reims C172M which has the switch + indicator. Our indicator works fine but I prefer the gated selector since it removes the need to hold down the switch and check setting on the indicator, you just move the selector to the required gate and return focus to the job in hand. If your aircraft has 40° flaps then you might find the the gated selector are only available for the later 30° C172 models.

Just a thought......

MLS-12D
5th Jul 2003, 02:52
Good idea, Andrew. I don't know how easy it would be to convert to a gated selector, but if technically practical it would be a big improvement over the silly switch/indicator combination.:ok:

Electric flaps are the invention of the devil, and I have no idea why Cessna choose to use them rather than simple, positive manual flaps like Pipers and Citabrias have. Probably a marketing ploy; if so, it doesn't work, as far as I am concerned anyway.

Andrew Sinclair
5th Jul 2003, 04:22
I have always found the location of the flap selector rather odd. In the C172 aircraft I have flown it has always been below the control column of the RH seat. During solo flight this necessitates a pilot on short field finals to stretch across to the right after first lossening his torso restraint to drop the last stage of flap and, as I mentioned earlier, in the case of the C172M check the indicator.

I was lucky enough to fly a PA28 Piper Warrior III for the summer flying season a couple of years ago, here the flaps are easy to operate as a handbrake lever giving a very definate feel to the flap operation.

I suspect there is a reason and most likely as you say styling or marketing.

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Jul 2003, 06:30
AS,

It is located to the far right so that you can not inadvertedly retract the gear!

:D :D :D

FD

RodgerF
7th Jul 2003, 16:58
I have found that Cessna flaps extend at a rate of about 10 degrees in 3 seconds. When flying a C150/C172 without a gated flap lever I find that starting the flaps running and counting 'one thousand, two thousand, three thousand' gives you a 10 degree extension. You can then check the indicator.

(Spelling errors corrected. RF)

Andrew Sinclair
7th Jul 2003, 17:07
That's a good point Roger, someone mentioned that to me once before and I had forgotten. I will use that method in future and double check at the end of the count.

GTOTO
7th Jul 2003, 22:10
Sounds like the flap follower cable inner and outer is worn out,

Can be purchased in the states for about $1 dollar a foot.
Go for the steal outer rather than plastic, brakes up.

We have a 177 had to replace it but maintainer purchased from Cessna at £300 pounds :ouch:

The gated selector has a couple of micro switches and needs the follower cable working Ok. Best to replace cable.

One idea in the states is use a larger diameter outer with a Teflon (ptfe) lining, from motor cycle tecnology.

Another low tec idea is paint some lines on the port flap and wing so as they move back and down they indicate position.