PDA

View Full Version : Dear Britannia Captain...

vertigo
2nd Jul 2003, 22:07
were you the 757 captain who, two weeks ago, was horrified to hear we had closed the main runway at Gatwick four minutes late to let two aircraft in on 26L before switching to 26R ?

The same indignant Captain who thought I was delaying him so much he should send the fuel bill to me ?

If we hadn't kept the main runway open that extra four minutes, those last two aircraft wouldn't have landed and therefore held (in front of you) for the northern runway.

You'd then have become number 3 and with a spacing requirement equating to 5 mins you'd have held an extra 10 minutes.

By my maths I saved you 6 mins fuel.

Cheque please ?

White Knight
2nd Jul 2003, 23:01
Nice one Vertigo. Don't you just hate pompous arses!!!!
Do the flight crew pay for the fuel at Britannia then ??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

willoman
3rd Jul 2003, 01:05
Vertigo - why wait 2 weeks before venting your tirade. Did you not have the guts to communicate by phone or letter,as you should have done. There are adequate committees and groups at LGW to relate matters such as this between parties. Your method of publication does nothing to strengthen the confidential, unspoken bond that exists between professionals involved in aviation.

kinsman
3rd Jul 2003, 03:14
Willoman

Agree with your wise words but just a thought, the Brit Captain presumably made an unguarded unprofessional remark on an open frequency for all to hear. In which case I guess he is fair game.

willoman
3rd Jul 2003, 04:11
An ATC frequency is a link between professionals. Pprune is open to all and sundry.

TURIN
3rd Jul 2003, 04:35
So, all those spotters up in the terminal with airband radios are professionals are they?:hmm:

~~~^~~~
3rd Jul 2003, 08:53
pompous arses In UK? Can't be...

SilentHandover
3rd Jul 2003, 16:39
The reason for the 2 week delay in complaining is totally obvious!!!!
This is an ATCO complaining, it took him/her that long to work out the maths of the delay!!!

:D :D :D ;) :D :D :D

MANTHRUST
3rd Jul 2003, 17:11
~~~^~~~

You are correct , not in the UK

Zomp
3rd Jul 2003, 18:27
Nice one Vertigo, I worked for them for short while and I never met so many w*****s in such a short time anywhere else.
It's a sad outfit with lots of sad people.

You splitter
3rd Jul 2003, 20:52
Nice one Vertigo,

I symathise with you. I have just spend the morning ploughing through Captains comments re their routings. I wouldn't mind if the comments are polite but most are arrogant and flipant.

THIS flight should be filed via UA25!!!!!!!

Answer. One portion of UA25 is Southbound only and your flight was heading north

Why this route???? In future I expect to be planed via blah blah blah.....

Answer: Your route is 65NM longer, off Standard Routing scheme and uses unavialable airways with min flight levels above the capability of your aircraft.

Sorry.... needed to rant as am sick of dealing with this now. The days of finding an airway nearest to your great circle line are gone. Too many regs and restrictions. Guess it can be frustrating but please dont question those of us who know what we are doing...or if you must, please dont treat us like idiots and use some tact! :ok:

Big Tudor
3rd Jul 2003, 22:27
vertigo

You forget that most Britannia captains commenced their flying careers when they were the only people in the sky. Having to hold to allow other (less worthy) individuals to partake in some aviation just isn't on. ;)

I totally sympathise with splitters comments. If you want to be treated like a professional, act like one. Respect does not come with the extra stripe. A touch of civility and common decency goes a long way!

fireflybob
4th Jul 2003, 03:27
Well I don't work for Britannia but we shouldn't tar them all with the same brush - I know a few BY aircrew and they seem quite decent chaps (and chapesses) to me.

However, this sort of "rage" is a symptom of the pressures and stress which we are all subject to more and more these days. What used to be a simple drive to work has now become a major obstacle etc. This does not mean that we should be uncivil to each other, quite the opposite!

Do BY crew still file return flight plans themselves? When I worked for a company which was taken over by BY we were astonished to be informed that Ops only filed the outbound flight plan and the inbound plan was left to the crews whereas we had been using computerised flight planning for a few years!

FlyboyBen
4th Jul 2003, 22:00
I've noticed the lack of BY folk wanting to stand up for themselves.

Come on people, don't take this criticism...

outofsight
4th Jul 2003, 23:39
Well I work for Brits as an F/O and after five years there I have'nt really got any gripes or moans about the hundred or so captains I've flown with. In fact I'd say all the guys I've met, flown with and had a pint with throughout Brits are a hell of alot of fun and pretty easy going.

I suppose this captain could have been one of the ones I have'nt experienced or maybe this guy was having a really bad day, I would'nt judge an airline from one comment on pprune and I hope ya'll will feel the same way.

Damn fine airline that does'nt cut corners.

yeoman
8th Jul 2003, 18:30
I'm with Out of Sight on this one. Water off a ducks back.

dicksynormous
9th Jul 2003, 01:43
Out of sight ,

i would disagree with your comment about brittannia not cutting corners.
why just the other night i followed one home and not satisfied with dct vicenza he also got direct to hoc , vesan , tnt, and cf 06.

if they arent short cuts i dont know what are:ok:

HotDog
9th Jul 2003, 08:56
What's wrong with requesting directs? You'll get it if available and save a lot of time and gas.

Pilot Pete
10th Jul 2003, 06:54
Hotdog,

I think Dicksy was taking the p!ss, a little play on 'cutting corners' and getting 'directs'..................... :rolleyes:

PP

dicksynormous
10th Jul 2003, 09:15
thanks pilot pete unbelievable innit? i knew someone suffering from sanctimoniuosheaduparseism would bite, i despair for this industry. suppose thats why we need crm, to integrate the billys.

p.s
it doesnt really save as much as you think unless its a good one like mun dct new. usually just saves the hassle of fiddling with t'fmc.

4 short cuts tonight and we saved 1 minute.

stands back and waits for a billy to regale me with costs over x aircraft and x years , yawn.
well i dont care . stands back and waits for pprune self righteous post about the long term effects of my attitude on the industry. well i still dont care.

sorry got carried away.
good nite.:8 :yuk: :8

BOAC
11th Jul 2003, 05:05
Dicksy - (when you come back, of course :O) - dinna forgit - a minute saved is a minute saved. Maybe an extra minute doing something really nice :ok:

and that FMC.........

Bring on the remote control.....

Long live 'Air Canwe'

PPRuNeUser0215
13th Jul 2003, 07:52
I've noticed the lack of BY folk wanting to stand up for themselves.

Perhaps we can't be bothered answering mate.... Money, fixed days off and great bunch so far so no comment. Give me a few years if you would. By the way if you have been around the industry for a while, you will know that "tosserness" isn't reserved to the Elite :D :D :D.