PDA

View Full Version : Sothend & Bembridge

GroundBound
2nd Jul 2003, 21:16
Next Monday I shall be flying into Southend with some Belgian colleagues, then on to Bembridge, and back to Charleroi.

Needless to say, their expectations of eating on the stop-overs are (somewhat) "angst-ridden", e.g. in Belgium they say "bon appetit" in UK they say "good luck" :)

Does anyone have any recomendations to counter this view?

Don't know the times yet, although I expect arriving Southend mid to late morning.

For Bembrige, it seems to be the Crab & Lobster, or the Propellor Inn, but I can't find anything for Southend.

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

BlueRobin
2nd Jul 2003, 21:29
Jellied eels from the pier.

Keef
2nd Jul 2003, 23:40
I'm based at Southend. There is a cafe in the terminal, and a couple of flying clubs that do food, but it's not likely to excite a hungry Belgian, Frenchman, etc.

Last time I ate there was at Aviators Flying Club, which is at the runway end of the eastern taxiway, the last building before you get to the Hold for 24.

There is a McDonalds in the "Business Park" at the South-East corner of the airfield if you are really desperate.

I've heard very good things about the Propeller and the Crab & Lobster at Bembridge, but never eaten there (they were both closed the last time I thought about going).

Fuji Abound
3rd Jul 2003, 00:14
Dont eat at Southend - straight to Bembridge and a taxi to the Crab (5 min). Pretty English pub on the cliff top with food that doesnt usually require a good luck wish - in fact it is very good. The prop. is rather more basic.

panjandrum
3rd Jul 2003, 01:02
Ground Bound

The cafe in the terminal at Southend is fine, not haute cuisine perhaps, but very honest fare, large portions and reasonable price, too.

If you arrive from 0800 to1100 local time, on a week-day, the airport are doing a special promotion for pilots at the moment, whereby a free breakfast in the terminal cafe is provided as a part of the landing fee. Just mention it when you arrive in the FBO and they will give a voucher (obviously only one per aircraft).
All you have to do is get up early enough to arrive before 11am local.

Details on their websiteSouthend Free Breakfast (http://www.southendairport.net/main.htm)

AlanM
3rd Jul 2003, 01:10
The prop Inn is OK - but as said nothing special. And you end up watching aeroplanes...! zzzzzz:zzz:

I would jump in a cab and see the island!

Skipping Southend for food is a Good idea. You could always nip to Compton Abbas for a great view of England and some excellent local food.

Red Four
3rd Jul 2003, 17:39
I flew in on Tuesday, and was surprised to be offered a free breakfast as a part of the landing fee (I think because I landed before 11 0 Clock?).
Anyway,a s I was somewhat peckish, tried out the cafe in the terminal and was happily surprised at the breakfast that was quickly produced- lots of it and good variety, with a mug of tea to go with it.
Quite a few locals seemed to be using it for breakfast/lunch also, and found out that the cafe is under new management as of this year, and has improved greatly over the previous staff.
Ideal for a quick stop off, rather than a five course banquet!
:ok:

singaporegirl
3rd Jul 2003, 18:12
I ended up staying overnight unexpectedly at the Crab and Lobster earlier this year when the weather closed in and I was unable to get home. Food was fine, and if the weather is good there are benches outside with great views over the sea.

I also visited the Propellor Inn for lunch - and walked straight into a convention of cowboys! :confused: It was rather surreal, like something out of a David Lynch film, to fly in to the Isle of Wight for lunch only to be surrounded by all these stetsons and chaps, with a country music band belting out heartbreakers! Still, I guess there's not much else to do on a wet Sunday in May...

GroundBound
5th Jul 2003, 19:56
Thanks all for the replies.

Looks like IOW is the best bet for lunch - assuming the weather holds for Monday :)

If your'e out an about on Monday and hear OO-JCM scudding around the SE, spare us a thought :)