PDA

View Full Version : faa cpl vision test requirement?

woodey
2nd Jul 2003, 08:11
What is the minimum vision test requirement for the faa medical for cpl?
Is it enough to get 20/20 vision with corrective lenses regardless of dioptres / deficits without correction
Or is it like JAA Class I where the deficit cannot require >5dioptre lenses for correction, doesn't matter if you have 20/20 vision with correction?

??????
Confused
Woodey

dorosenco
2nd Jul 2003, 10:30
Woodey,

The FAA 1st Class medical is a joke compared to the JAA. If you passed the JAA 1st Class you're good to go.

I did my FAA 1st Class in 1h30m. I spent 6 hours at Gatwick for the damn JAA one. I though that I was applying for an astronaut position with NASA.

You can have 20/20 with correction, no problem. FAR 67.103(a)&(b) doesn't say anything about limitations on dioptres.

:D ;)

woodey
3rd Jul 2003, 07:45
Hmmm!
point is dorosenco, i cannot pass JAA class I as eyesight requires >5 dioptre correction. I was thinking of going FAA for that reason.
Woodey

Charlie Zulu
8th Jul 2003, 03:24
Hi,

The only thing to watch out for on the FAA Class 1 and 2 medicals is that you must be able to see 20/20 with corrective glasses if required in EACH eye seperately.

This is a little more stringent than the JAA Class 1 / 2 whereby you only have to see 20/20 (6/6) with both eyes together with corrective glasses if required.

The rest of the FAA Class 1 & 2 is a little less stringent.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.
In Naples, Florida / FAA CPL/IR Course