PDA

View Full Version : CPL needed to accept money ?

duir
2nd Jul 2003, 07:09
I wish to take people flying privately for the purposes of Hour Building for the CPL/IR. If they pay for the hire of the aircraft only and I make no financial gains do I need a CPL? Or can I legally do this on my PPL alone?
:confused:

FlyingForFun
2nd Jul 2003, 15:54
As a PPL, you need to pay for your fair share of the cost of the flight. In other words, if you take two passengers, you must pay at least 1/3 of the cost yourself. There is a limit to the number of people you can cost-share with, too - I think it's 6(?) but I might be wrong on that bit.

If you are renting, there is no flexibility in determining the cost of the flight - add the rental charges to the landing fees, and you must pay at least 1/3 of that (again, assuming two passenger). But I can't see any problem if your passengers also decide to buy you lunch, and pay for the petrol to and from the airport, just as a way of saying thank you.

Hope that helps.

FFF
-----------

Dufwer
2nd Jul 2003, 17:17
If you have a few months spare you could have a read of the ANO. Look at this link (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF) under the heading
Public transport and aerial work (Section 1 page 107) for all the bits that cover your question. It specifies the number of passengers, how the flight may and may not be advertised, when 'valuable consideration' can be given/received, etc, etc. It's the offical legal document so don't expect it to make sense on the first read :O FFF is, as usual, correct.

D

Edited the link to point to CAA site not old copy on HMSO site

expedite_climb
2nd Jul 2003, 17:33
If you are a PPL you can 'cost share'.

There must be no more than 4 persons (incl pilot) in the aircraft.

i.e. even total POB 5, with one not paying a penny, and you and others paying 1/4 is still illegal.

The flights cannot be advertised except in a flying club.

If you are in a club aeroplane the passengers must be over 18 and a member of the club (I guess day membership may count).

You also need to check the club flying order book and the ANO (article 107), as dufwer mentions

Bealzebub
3rd Jul 2003, 10:13
And be very very careful about your level of insurance coverage for such a venture. In the unhappy event of an incident or accident the injured party or parties ( and their very informed lawyers) will seek out insurers to cover the liability. If the insurance is not available or inadequate to cover this risk, have a guess who they will turn to next ?