PDA

View Full Version : PFA Rally

Girl Flyday
1st Jul 2003, 05:45
Any PPRuNer's going to the PFA rally? If so, give me a yell as it'd be great to meet up with you! (Will be there Thurs pm - Mon am, as I'm 'volunteering' in Ops)

GF

Windy Militant
1st Jul 2003, 05:53
I'll be there Wednesday to Sunday evening setting up and helping with one of the stands. Possibly someone could suggest a PPRuNe rallying point. ;) The lure of draught 6 X is already exerting it's siren call, so If they'll let us into The AV8 then that's probably where I'll be :ok:

Girl Flyday
1st Jul 2003, 05:59
Quite... great beer, great company... perfect! ;)

Which stand is that, Windy? (Email me privately, if you don't want to 'advertise'!)

GF

Aerobatic Flyer
1st Jul 2003, 06:01
Maybe..... if:[list=1]
The weather is nice
My trip from France to the UK happens
I can persuade some of my French fellow pilots to brave a trip to Kemble
I remember to bring with me the instructions that I carefully printed out earlier today!
[/list=1]

Windy Militant
1st Jul 2003, 06:08
GF,
The PFA shop. I'll be one of the two bleary hairy muppets who can't work the till again this year;)

Kingy
1st Jul 2003, 06:11
I'll be there on Friday and Sunday. As Kemble is quite close to our home field we're hoping to get all the servicable aircraft there at some point, probably by coming in one in the morning then nipping back at lunch, doing a swap and returning in the afternoon to Kemble - should be a laugh!

The aircraft are: L4 Cub G-BGXA, Taylorcraft BC12 G-BOLB, FRED G-BMMF, Spezio TU Holer G-NOBI.

So if you or any other PPruners see me in one of the above please come and say hello

:ok:

Kingy

Girl Flyday
1st Jul 2003, 06:17
I'll make a note of the aircraft/regs, and see if I can catch up with you!

BTW - anyone not reading their AIC and/or being a bad boy, please note - we are issued with whips along with the high-viz vests and caps... ;)

Keef
1st Jul 2003, 06:35
Whips? I'm coming!

Friday, either in trusty G-UTSY, or if the wx is nice and Dave's feeling daft, in the Yak.

FlyingForFun
1st Jul 2003, 16:07
My aircraft is going, but I'm not. Would have liked to have flown in, but the rest of the group managed to book it before I got around to it! Never mind - since I don't have an aircraft to fly that weekend I'm going to a car show instead...

FFF
--------------

Whirlybird
1st Jul 2003, 17:11
I'll be there one day, but I don't know which one yet. I'll be helping out on the BWPA stand, and generally wandering around. So if anyone would like to suggest a PPRuNe meeting place/time...

FloatLikeAButterfly
1st Jul 2003, 17:13
I'll be there; not sure which day yet. I'll be using wheels rather than wings. Hopefully, next year, I'll turn up in something more appropriate.

Floaty.

Mike Cross
1st Jul 2003, 17:16
I shall be arriving Saturday afternoon and departing Sunday afternoon in the mighty Luscombe (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/142284/M/) G-BTCH.

It will also be there on Friday, but not with me.

Mike

stiknruda
1st Jul 2003, 17:44
Wx permitting, I'll be there late Sat and camping beside the purple Pitts. Will depart mid pm, Sunday.

Competing at Bodmin during Sat.

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
1st Jul 2003, 18:23
Still hoping to get there somehow - hopefully to camp a night or so.

tKF

Andrew Sinclair
1st Jul 2003, 19:57
Planning to arrive in G-BBTG on Saturday pm. Tango Golf will also be there Friday with another group member.

QNH 1013
2nd Jul 2003, 03:31
Hope to be there in the (Yellow) Jodel on Friday, and poss in the taildragger Europa on Sat or Sunday.

Kingy, I've not read the AIC yet but assuming there are no restrictions on departures, I might be able to fly you over to your strip on Friday for you to collect another aircraft.

flower
2nd Jul 2003, 06:26
I would love to go and can go on both Friday or the Saturday, but as I would be on my own its just a bit to overwhelming I think.
These events are always so much better with company so will probably have to miss out.
:(

White Shadow
2nd Jul 2003, 16:06
White Shadow won't be in a white Shadow this year - someone else is now enjoying it. I'll be in somethimg called an X-air. (Genghis will know what that is). Yellow. G-CBCW.
Been a while since I met up with some of you, at Popham a year or two back.
Good to know Girl Flyday will be looking after us....

WS

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jul 2003, 16:23
I'd have thought by now that most British PPLs would know what an X'Air is - there must be getting towards a hundred flying in the country. I shall be strolling around for all three days doing my usual networking, haggling, giving a lecture in the seminar tent and so on - the usual.

G

For those who don't know, WhiteShadow's 2003 steed looks something like this...

http://www.vr-anp.com/gallery/micro/x-air/X-air%2005.jpg

Whirlybird
2nd Jul 2003, 16:37
White Shadow,

Even I know what an X-Air is...and I'm the person who at Duxford didn't know...well, never mind about that (where's an icon for blushing furiously?)

Anyway, to get to the point, I'll be there on Saturday, helping out on the BWPA stand. How about all Saturday arrivals meet me there at, say, 12.30, and I'll see if I can't skive off for coffee with you all or something. And you can collect BWPA details for yourselves, or your wives, girlfriends, mothers, daughters etc. And buy lots of our T-shirts and things since we need the funds. Flower , you'll find you know lots of people; the aviation world is very small. Well, you know me anyway!

So if that's settled, look for the smallish woman with very short spiky hair in a navy BWPA T-shirt, and in case you make a mistake, I'll tell everyone else on the stand who Whirly is. :D

Mike Cross
2nd Jul 2003, 16:59
Flower

Since when have you been a shrinking violet?
I'm in Henley Friday night and should be leaving Popham lunchtime-ish on Saturday so may see you there.

Someone offer to hold her hand from Cardiff please!

Mike

Girl Flyday
2nd Jul 2003, 18:05
flower - isn't one of the guys manning the ATC caravan from Cardiff?

But do come along - there'll be plenty of us there! (Windy Militant, Whirly and myself all three days, for starters :cool: )

Mariner9
2nd Jul 2003, 19:10
Mrs M9 & I willl be flying in from Cardiff on Fri 11th, and have 1 seat left in a PA28 if Flower (or anyone else - although Flower gets priority as a thank you for recent ATC visit
:ok: )

M9

flower
2nd Jul 2003, 23:33
Mariner9,
thankyou so much for the offer of a flight there, but I have accepted an offer from a very good friend who has offered to look after me on Saturday , so I will not be all alone and frightened :O

Thanks guys for the support, but I truly would have hated it going there alone I am sometimes a shrinking violet :\

Mariner9
3rd Jul 2003, 17:03
Roger Flower, I was kinda hoping you'd work the RT ;)

Still a seat left then if anyone wants to come.

M9

Girl Flyday
5th Jul 2003, 17:31
Well if people would like to meet up - perhaps Whirly or Windy Militant would like to 'liase' and let me know? (They should be easy to find on their respective stands, whereas I'll probably be either in the tower or out and about...)

GF

Windy Militant
5th Jul 2003, 20:24
GF
Perhaps we could reserve a table at the AV8 ?

Andrew Sinclair
6th Jul 2003, 01:08
Hoping to arrive sometime on Saturday pre-lunchtime in Tango Golf

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/g_bbtg.jpg

Girl Flyday
6th Jul 2003, 02:17
Sounds great to me, Windy - I'd definitely be up for that! Now all we need is to decide which night - and how many people...

GF

flower
7th Jul 2003, 05:35
Looks like I may be lucky and be flying into Kemble Saturday ( not yet confirmed but looking good)

So sorry cannot join you in the evening for Dinner

bletchleytugie
8th Jul 2003, 02:52
I will be there from Thursday mid-day and working out on the airfield for the duration. Don't know about dinner but would almost certainly manage a pint or two. MRCROSS, I shall be wearing the queens green again, will instruct herberts to report arrival of Luscombe.

Rgds

Bletchleytuggie

PS can recommed the XAIR as an interesting way of viewing the courntriyside - wouldn't swap for my 26 metres of carbon fibre though.

Windy Militant
8th Jul 2003, 17:35
Have booked a Table at the AV8 for Saturday evening. Have Three places left. If sufficient interest might be able to book more but need to know soon.

PM me if you're interested.

Aussie Andy
8th Jul 2003, 17:49
Hi all,

I am thinking of fying-in on Sunday morning just for 1/2 a day... but is such a short visit worthwhile? I haven't been before...

Andy

Windy Militant
9th Jul 2003, 04:36
only two places now left for the Private Flying Mini bash at The AV8 Saturday evening. ;)

beamer
9th Jul 2003, 05:10
I'm in the somewhat strange situation of living within a couple of miles of Kemble and will still be flying an aircraft into the rally.
Could I make a plea for all intending to arrive by air to use the
published procedures both in the air and on the ground. I know
all too well that local public opinion is very much against some of the aerial acivity at Kemble and we need that opinion to turn in our favour - we will not achieve that by overflying local villages at
low level and creating a nuisance. Some of this opinion is without
doubt nimbyism BUT some is also justified as certain operators
just don't give a stuff about the locals - did someone say Hunters ?!

If we want the PFA to return to Kemble lets do it properly.

nb If you can drag yourself away from the beer tent there is an
excellent two-day summer fayre in Crudwell - about two miles south - people apparently arrive by the busloads.

Keep it safe - loadsa aeroplanes about..............

Mike Cross
9th Jul 2003, 07:15
Bletchleytuggie

ETA maybe perhaps around about two-ish on Saturday.

Staying with friends locally and departing Sunday afternoon. Will watch out for you & herberts.

Mike

Brooklands
10th Jul 2003, 00:58
Aussie Andy, Yes, I'd say any visit is worthwhile, but with only half a day you'll be limiting what you can see. You can probably whizz round the exhibition/trade stands in that time, or run around the parked aircraft (could be upto 1000 (yes 1000)), but not both.

Are you going from Booker or Benson?

I'll be driving over (from Chalgrove) on Sunday, so will try and find some of you lot during the day.

Brooklands

Aussie Andy
10th Jul 2003, 01:18
Thanks Brooklands... will be going from Benson but as the forecast is so excellent for Sunday (there: that's put the clappers on it! :O) have decide to circumnavigate Wales via Snowdon, Caernarfon, Haverford, Swansea etc., instead!

Have a great time everyojne!

Andy

Negative 'G'
10th Jul 2003, 02:17
Beamer,

"If you can drag yourself away from the beer tent there is an
excellent two-day summer fayre in Crudwell - about two miles south - people apparently arrive by the busloads."

Ah maybe, but are there any good pubs for food & ale in Crudwell, or anywhere else close to Kemble for that matter ?

Neg G:D

Girl Flyday
10th Jul 2003, 02:44
There's a pub (that did good food/beer/wine last time I was there) called the Dirty Duck (or something to do with ducks, anyway!) a couple of miles away at Ewen - and the Horse & Groom at Charlton (about 5 miles?) is supposed to be quite nice, too... apparently! (Am staying at the latter, so I hope so!)

GF

formationfoto
10th Jul 2003, 04:07
Will be arriving Thursday evening in Cessna 310 GAZRR and staying until last thing on Sunday. Working on the PILOT stand. Staying at some country lodge type of place apparently - sort of big brother with a chalet for the boys and one for the girls. Bound to get voted out.

Will be at the awards on Saturday evening as well.

Maybe next year can convince PILOT to allow part of the stand to be used as a PPRUNE information corner (could probably do it unofficially this year).

beamer
10th Jul 2003, 05:25
NEG 'G'

TWO PUBS IN CRUDWELL, ANOTHER OPPOSITE RAILWAY STATION IN KEMBLE VILLAGE. THE DUCK IN EWAN NOT WHAT IT WAS SADLY - CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP AND VERY EXPENSIVE. IF YOU CAN GET WHEELS - THE TUNNELHOUSE AT SAPPERTON IS QUITE
GOOD - YOU MAY EVEN SEE JILLY COOPER. THE AG COLLEGE HOORAYS SHOULD HAVE VACATED CIRENCESTER BY NOW SO PLENTY OF OPTIONS IN THE EVENING THERE

ENJOY

Windy Militant
11th Jul 2003, 08:18
Still two places left for the micro bash.
Don't PM ask at the PFA shop as from now on I'm going to be camping. So no PPruNing for the next few days!

Whirlybird
11th Jul 2003, 17:35
I'm driving down late this afternoon, and I'll be found in the BWPA stand (No 19 in main pavilion) at least part of tomorrow. But anyone who wants to meet up, feel free to call me on 07813 651722.

Aerobatic Flyer
11th Jul 2003, 21:18
It's looking as if I may be able to make it. Look out for 2 French registered Robin DR400's (F GMKX and F GSBU), which are leaving Lyon early tomorrow morning!

Everything that happens after leaving is a bit vague at the moment, but with a bit of luck either tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning 6 Frenchmen 1 Frenchwoman and 1 brit (moi) will make it to Kemble.

flower
13th Jul 2003, 03:21
My first PFA rally and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was lucky in getting a lift in a Warrior instead of driving too !!

The temperature going out on the ATIS as we left was 32 C and the delicate shade of Pink my skin has turned inspite of factor 20 sunblock being applied all day backs that up.

Great as usual meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones .

I must say the ATCOs do a sterling job you certainly wouldn't catch me doing what they do, thanks guys :ok:

Hopefully not my last , shame I had to leave so early and missed meeting you Girl Flyday , but next time have your mobile with you and switched on ;)

Andrew Sinclair
13th Jul 2003, 06:14
Excellent weather, wonderful flight, great day out!

Nice to meet you again Whirlybird and sorry I missed you Girl Flyday you seemed to be off line to txt messages, next time hopefully!

Here are a few photos for those who couldn't make it.....

Mike Cross arriving with his Luscombe G-BTCH

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/gbtchs.jpg

Enjoying the sun outside the beer tent....

L-R is Mike Cross, Flower, cblinton@blueyonder (Senior) an absolutely delightful gentlemen, pleased to have met you Sir, GATSR Survivor, cblinton@blueyonder and Junior Linton.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/beers.jpg

Tango Golf in the line up.......

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/tangogolfs.jpg

On the climbout returning home......

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/climbouts.jpg

Setting course for home....

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/overheads.jpg

Lastly, I must say the ATCO on duty when we departed at 15:40 local was absolutely superb. I take my hat off to you, an extremely slick operation.

White Shadow
13th Jul 2003, 18:12
Yes. Excellent ATC yesterday - including a swift follow-up to a call from someone behind me on base-leg, about 11.40, reporting a forlorne-looking Goldwing (I think it was) canard in a ploughed field on right base, Grass, (occupants standing beside it and waving, so could have been worse. Wonder how they got it out...)

Nice to meet up with Whirlybird again (interesting people on the BWPA unit),
But couldn't stay for the evening PPRuNe jolly. Maybe next time.

Cheers
WS

p.s. Nice potos, AS. Wasn't it HOT!
WS

Andrew Sinclair
13th Jul 2003, 18:43
yes it was very warm. My face, arms, legs and neck are all a unusual shade of sunburn pink.

A few more photos to enjoy.....

Perfect 3-pointer from an Auster 5J2 Arrow owned by Bedwell Hey Flying Group

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/gbeah.jpg

Nice example of a Piper Cub

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/gbtet.jpg

YAK-52

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/yak52.jpg

Serious Single Engine Piston.....

http://mysite.freeserve.com/andrew_sinclair/sep.jpg

Girl Flyday
15th Jul 2003, 00:35
Hey guys - I much regret missing out on the beers - although being in the nicely air-conditioned tower or a 4x4 with the windows open did have its compensations - especially given the temperatures this weekend!

But if any of you make it next year, do please give me a call - and I'll do my very best to catch up with you!

Flower - stop over next year, compare notes with our oh-so-nice controllers - and the first round is on me! ;-)

GF