PDA

View Full Version : Modular Training Order?.......

u848367
1st Jul 2003, 05:17
Having got a PPL and night rating I am looking at doing a Modular ATPL but would like to do the IR next...as opposed to doing my theory exams. Would anyone advise against doing it this way...and if so why?
cheers.

Gazeem
1st Jul 2003, 05:48
To add an IR on to a PPL you are required to pass the IR theoretical examinations, these examinations are half of the ATPL theory exams (7 out of 14). The exact same papers!

If you are interested in going commercial then I'd recommend getting the fATPL first and get all 14/14 done.

You can always get an IMC in the meantime.

FlyingForFun
1st Jul 2003, 15:53
Gazeem is right - the exam credits (either IR or ATPL, but you'd be mad to do the IR exams if you're planning on getting a CPL) are a pre-requisite for the IR.

FFF
---------------

mad_jock
1st Jul 2003, 18:38
If you do the IR first you need all the help you can get.

Hour build while studying. If your brave enough do some of it at night helps later on with the 100hours for ATPL.

Also try and get some twin time in before starting CPL or IR it saves alot of stress later on and it all goes towards your 150hrs.

I didn't make as much use of the hour building as I should of, so its important not to just punch holes in the sky. Have a goal, plan it properly then fly it as exactly as possible. If you did your PPL in the states go for a few Nav lessons with a UK school. MY nav was very slack and looking back on it had more to do with my hillwalking skills than proper Nav technique.

MJ

No. 2
2nd Jul 2003, 17:51
u848367,

If you're a relatively new PPL then it may be advantageous to first do your hour building followed by the CPL, as opposed to doing the IR first. This will allow you to consolidate your VFR flying skills before going onto instrument flying.