PDA

View Full Version : Landing Minima CAT 1

CaptSensible
19th Dec 2000, 05:52
Touchdown RVR is required to be at (or above) published minima on a CAT 1 approach.

But what about the mid-point and stop end? Used to be required to be above Take Off minimums...but this seems to have changed under JAR-OPs.

Any views?

quid
20th Dec 2000, 08:13
I'm only familiar with the FAR and Ops Specs here in the US.

Touchdown RVR is controlling, and any others are advisory, but none required. If the TDZ RVR is inop, the mid-range may be substituted and is controlling, nothing else required.

Your Ops Specs may differ.

------------------

dusk2dawn
20th Dec 2000, 19:48
quid,

in which FAR can I find that ?

quid
20th Dec 2000, 22:08
d2d-

Standard industry Ops Specs, CO74, (a), note 2.

static
21st Dec 2000, 00:29
Company ops manual states:
midpoint and rollout RVR 125 meter.
Wouldn`t like it much less anyway...

m&v
21st Dec 2000, 00:36
Canadian Regulations stipulate T/down rvr at/or above the legal limit of 1200'(for a CAT1),if T/down u/s Rollout rvr at 1200'..
If rvr's are less than 1200',one can continue the approach if the Metar/twr Vis'is at least 1/4 mile
Car 602.129(AIP RAC 9.20)

alosaurus
22nd Dec 2000, 01:54
Our chief pilot has looked into this and in legal terms JARs say you do not need to take into account mid point and stop end.Theoretically then your mid point and stop end requirements will only be restricted by taxying minima.

dusk2dawn
22nd Dec 2000, 04:20
Could we have some specific references to where in the JARs we can find it, please ?

Quid, does "Standard industry Ops Specs, CO74, (a), note 2." have some kind of different title as I can't find said text on the FAA site (nor can Google).

quid
22nd Dec 2000, 05:04
d2d-

I've never looked for them on the www. I'd be surprised if they were, because some items are specific to your airline.

Some carriers issue them to the flight crews, some don't (but incorporate them into readable language in your FOM.)

Your Chief Pilot should have a copy handy. Ops Specs are the rules YOUR airline lives with, for example can you takeoff with lower than standard minima; what specific equipment is required for Class II navigation; Exemptions unique to your carrier, etc.

OOPS! Didn't mean for that "thumbs down" to be there, I hit the wrong key. Sorry 'bout that.

[This message has been edited by quid (edited 22 December 2000).]

dusk2dawn
22nd Dec 2000, 19:52
No worry - pun not taken (if one can say so in english ?).

Copy on those operator specific regs. However, it is my impression that even those operator specific regs have some kind of background in the general rules and regulations which covers everybody.
Just what / where are those (FAA) regs ?

m&v
22nd Dec 2000, 21:27
As you know,transport Ops'(In the USA) is covered by Code Federal Regulations Part121,foreign Carriers are covered by part 129,the specific operating items(T/down RVR,etc) are covered by"approved" Operational Specifications(ops specs').Generally approved by the FAA,based on the meeting the training 'legallities'of the home country,providing they meet FAA stndrds.So the T/dn requirement will be spelled out in each Carriers'Ops manual'and not read quite like the reg'(121) itself.

alapt
23rd Dec 2000, 14:15
Jar-Ops 1.430 table 5 stipulates the minimum requirements for a Cat 1 landing RVR.
Best case scenario is 550 meters and 200'.
Happy readings to all and a merry X-mas!

Keep the blue side up