PDA

View Full Version : Wolverhampton International Airport.

jarjam
1st Jul 2003, 03:42
Just seen a feature on the regional news announcing plans to massively develop Halfpenny Green errr.. sorry Wolverhamton Business Airport. This has been rumoured for a while and the local nimby's have been banner waving/playing sounds of JUMBO JETS taking of over a P.A. System.
Thought it was an old clip from the proposed white paper site at Rugby.

Apparently plans for large scale development are being discussed which could make the airport as large as Birmingham???

Sounds interesting apart from the fact that theres already a large airport at Birmingham, its called Birmingham airport and also theres no infrastructure at all at WBA to support such an expansion.
I cant imagine 500'000 pax dodging tractors on the back lanes of south Staffordshire to go on their hol's to Malaga.

"Yes madam the toilets are half a mile down the road at the Royal Oak Public House."
Having flown from WBA for a few years whilst doing my PPL I can only assume that the management have lost the plot.

one thing's for sure is that the landing fee's are as expensive as Birmingham for say a bizjet but without providing any of the facility's.

Any body who can be bothered stick yer oar in.

BALIX
1st Jul 2003, 04:08
Dunno whether developing EGBO is a good idea or not but I think they could do with a different abbreviation than WBA. Fans of Wolves and WBA loath each other :}

GK430
1st Jul 2003, 17:26
Just imagine the property slump around Kinver. Nay lad, can't have that!
As for the roads.......you would have to put a dual carriageway through the local golf course. Can't see the members voting for that.
Seem to recall a few tall trees along the eastern boundary - oh well let them re-shape the landscape while they're at it, can't have obstacles reducing t/o performance or displacing the threshold, sure the neighbours won't object - better chop down after dark though.:*

niknak
1st Jul 2003, 20:31
Undoubtedly the same hot air and bull**** that's been coming out of the place since the bizzare decision to call it Wolverhampton.
It would be a great G/A, perhaps even Corporate alternative facility to EGBB, if only a few inflated and arrogant egos would permit it to be so.

Blighty Pilot
4th Jul 2003, 06:11
I heard a rumour a while ago that the airport was owned by/or the chaiman was some top bod at Wolves hence the same abrieviations - please correct me if you know different.

muffti
4th Jul 2003, 08:21
Not Wolves - West Bromwich Albion (WBA) Hence Wolverhampton Business Airport (WBA)

Great joke. But not for us NIMBYs

As a member of the Wolverhampton Airport Action Group I would appreciate any advice/info which helps return Halfpenny Green to the excellent G/A facility the local residents used to enjoy and moan about in equal measure.

Any takers?

Blighty Pilot
4th Jul 2003, 16:17
I would like to see EGBO return to its former glory. My feelings are that they are trying to be something that they can never be. For an airport in its location it should stick to what it is best at, GA, and yes that means getting rid of the excessive ATC, loosing the attitude, lowering the landing fees and airport building lease fees and maybe just maybe people and businesses will return and bring a good and healthy source of income to the area.

LGW Vulture
4th Jul 2003, 17:19
As I'm Black Country born Black Country bred - not thick in th'ed, I hasten to add!! - I always remember the A/P as strictly singles and light twins only. Although, biggest memory was that it had a regular Sunday market!!

What kind of demand exists up there for Corporate / Biz Av these days? Surely expansion can only be warranted if demand exists!

Would be very interested to learn.