PDA

View Full Version : Training for Commercial licence

BobFlyer
1st Jul 2003, 02:32
I am looking for some advice here.

I have a good job as a Maintenance Fitter on a Industrial site
but have always been interested in Planes. when I was young
I used to go up to the airport and watch the Planes taking off and landing. But I have always thought that to be a pilot you required to have A Levels and a Degree but not so as I recently discovered. The advice i am looking for is :

Is it worth While me going to train to be a pilot as I only have O Levels and no A Levels. I would have to do the Modular Route as I have not got the money to go Intergrated. Would having no A Levels be a disadvantage when training and afterwards trying to get a Job given the current state of the Aviation Industry and the fact that there are so many people out there with a FATPL trying to get jobs ?

I am 25 years old is this too old an age to start given that the Modular route could take a few years ?

How much mental maths work and Physics is involved in the training ?

I would Appreciate any advice you People out there could give
through your experience

df1
2nd Jul 2003, 01:59
Hi BobFlyer,

In short if you really want it GO FOR IT!!!

It really isn't that important to have A-levels or a university education (I have neither!). Actually, the studies that you would undertake cover a range of disciplines - physics, medicine, mathematics etc, but you will have ample opportunity to brush up if you are a little rusty in those areas. I am sure you will find them more interesting than difficult! You will need to get into a strict study regime and the exams aren't for the faint hearted. But if you want to do it you will!

A degree may become advantageous in certain circumstances, but the main aim today is getting a good quality of training and also having some flying hours (as many as possible and good quality) under your belt. The more experience you have the more likely you are to meet the entry criteria for a job, for example, some companies require thousands of hours with experience on particular types of aircraft. the hours versus job is a bit of a catch 22 as you need the hours to get a job, but to get the hours you need a job! There are things you can do to get hours logged up though.

Your age is not a problem to you either. Some prefer to recruit older (and you are not old in training terms) pilots whilst others have no preference!

The down-side is that the current job market for pilots is pretty naff. The events of 9/11 and recent war set things back. But, it will come back I am sure. You may want to consider delaying training (serious training) until obvious signs of recovery!

I think there is an organisation that will test your aptitude for suitability of flying (for a fee). I don't know there name (is it GAPAN??) but check their website!

Also, consider getting a medical asap. You would need a Class One and that would need to be done at Gatwick (at least my initial was in 1992). Thereafter it would need renewal each year, but that can be done with a more local aero medical examiner. The CAA website should have more info on that.

I hope this helps and best wishes with your new venture!!