PDA

View Full Version : X Country Qualifier Validity

VFR800
1st Jul 2003, 00:28
Here's one for you, I did my Cross Country Qualifier in May 2000. For a number of reasons, I stopped flying until March this year. When I first approached my new FTO, they advised there wasn't a requirement to redo the qualifier. However, they now appear to have changed their minds!

Being a tad on the cautious side (like, they get 3/4 hrs extra dosh), I wonder if any ppruner's out there had been in a similiar situation or know of any validity rules (I can't find anything on the CAA site). As ever your help, comments etc are greatly appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, it might be good to redo it, but it's the extra cost etc, I have to be a bit more careful with the 'ole dosh these days!

Cheers dudes. :cool:

Deano777
1st Jul 2003, 00:44
Hi VFR

Are you now flying out of Bristol m8?
As far as your QCC is concerned, to enable you to fly QCC u need Aviation Law, Met, Nav exams done? so u had these done back in 2000? would they not have expired now also?
just a thought

Dean.

Penguina
1st Jul 2003, 00:46
I thought I would have to redo mine, but the club looked into it and said it wasn't a problem. Hope they were right - I'm about to send off for my licence so I'll let you know if the CAA throw the form back in my face!

StrateandLevel
1st Jul 2003, 02:08
The requirement for the issue of a JAA PPL is that you have completed a solo cross country flight of 270Kms during the process of which you have landed at two aerodromes other than the point of departure.

If you have met this requirement that is all there is to it, nothing to do with exams or time.

JAA requirements are in JAR-FCL1 (Aeroplane).

Deano777
1st Jul 2003, 02:53
what i was trying to say was if his QCC hasnt expired (i know it cant expire now) then surely the exams have? 3 yrs since taking them?

D.

Lawyerboy
1st Jul 2003, 04:39
Thought I had a similar issue, spoke to the CAA who told me that the QXC does not expire - once you've done it, you've done it.

And no, you do not need to have passed any ground exams prior to undertaking the flight.

Yours truly
LB.

Deano777
1st Jul 2003, 06:29
hmmmm

well my instructor wouldnt let me go solo without my Aviation Law and Met exam, and would not let me go QCC without Nav exam, said I HAD to have them, and I suppose thinking about it it makes kinda sense, letting someone go QCC without their Nav exam seems a tad irresponsible, and letting them taxi around class D airports without Air Law etc etc the same, and MET speaks for itsself

D. :)

Evo
1st Jul 2003, 14:46
well my instructor wouldnt let me go solo without my Aviation Law and Met exam, and would not let me go QCC without Nav exam, said I HAD to have them,

This is an old Private Flying favourite. There is no requirement to do Air Law before solo (or Nav/Met before Solo navexs etc). However many clubs make you do these at set times, and one person I talked to suggested that there would be major insurance problems if a student had, for example, a weather-related accident on a solo navex and the club hadn't made them do the Met exam first. IANAL, so I couldn't possibly comment :)

VFR800
1st Jul 2003, 18:03
As ever, thanks for the replies guys, Deano, no I'm still at Kemble, club's got some of my money! I've redone the Air Law and Met exams and am redoing the Nav exam next week, so if I do have to redo it, I will have all the valid exams before the QCC.

My last club only made you do Air Law before going solo, BTW. No requirement as far as they were concerned to do Met or Nav prior to doing Nav flights!

:cool:

Lawyerboy
1st Jul 2003, 18:08
Always struck me as rather odd, must admit, that no ground exams at all are required before you go off either solo or solo cross country, and where clubs do require it they usually only want you to do Air Law. I'd have thought that the Nav exam might have been useful too....

Penguina
1st Jul 2003, 20:15
Mmm, I don't know about that: most of what's relelvant in the nav exam you glean through flying training anyway. I hadn't done it when I did my QXC, I did it right at the end of my training, and knew almost everything I was reading already (admittedly partly because lots of material is repeated in the exams, eg, altimeter setting, quadrantal rule, etc).

Having said that, the CAA don't know exactly how well you've been trained.

Law, on the other hand, seems pretty indispensible - there are daft little facts that you just wouldn't know unless you'd read the book and you need them.

I was made to do HPL before my first solo as well as law. Kind of see why, I suppose - high stress situation, etc.

strafer
1st Jul 2003, 21:39
The only thing you need before 1st solo and solo XC is a valid medical, Class II or above in UK, Class III or above in the USA (even for JAA PPL training).

However, there is a requirement on the Instructors part to know that you have showed competance in certain defined areas before he lets go of the lead. I imagine Air Law basics is amongst them.