PDA

View Full Version : Strip near Driffield

Timothy
30th Jun 2003, 16:16
Can anyone give me any details of a landing strip which I believe to be a few miles NE of Driffield in N Yorks?

TIA

W

Circuit Basher
30th Jun 2003, 16:49
A bit of hunting around on the Web suggests it may be Eddsfield (I thought it might be Langtoft, but I was wrong!) - Details below:

Tel: 07970 482539. Owner: Edward Peacock.Eddsfield Airfield, Langtoft, Driffield, East Yorks YO25 3BJ.

Grass 800x20mtr RW 27/09.

FUEL: Unknown.

Details / comments on the PilotWeb site, together with Web link for Eddsfield (which looks like a VERY useful site) entry for Eddsfield (http://www.pilotweb.co.uk/content/airfields/airfield.aspx?af_id=147).

Hope this helps.

Timothy
30th Jun 2003, 19:59
Circuit Basher

Thank you. Perfect:ok:

W

FloatLikeAButterfly
30th Jun 2003, 21:15
It even has its own website (http://www.eastyorkshire.co.uk/eddsfield/index.htm) with online weather and a webcam!

Floaty.

Circuit Basher
30th Jun 2003, 23:19
Floaty - which is precisely the reason I put in my post together with Web link for Eddsfield (which looks like a VERY useful site) ;) :rolleyes:

FloatLikeAButterfly
30th Jun 2003, 23:34
True enough CB, I'll have to get myself down to the optician's again!

Actually, after I posted it, I did notice that I was repeating your info but I decided to leave the link there anyway.

I like the story on the site about the fun they had with the radio frequency. The CAA allocated them a frequency which they then discovered was the same as Gatwick Approach. They pointed this out to the CAA who informed them it was Gatwick's problem and measures were being taken at Gatwick to sort it out!

Floaty

Timothy
30th Jun 2003, 23:45
I've spoken to Edd (this being 'Eddsfield', geddit?) and he was very helpful. I shall take the Aztec there on Monday, and, if I survive, report back.

It looks ideal for my purposes (visiting Bridlington Council.)

W

FloatLikeAButterfly
30th Jun 2003, 23:59
I'll be interested to hear how you get on W. I've mentally pencilled in a trip to Eddsfield as possible first post-PPL trip if they're ever daft enough to actually let me off the leash :D

Floaty

Capt BK
1st Jul 2003, 02:06
Wow, what a website for a small unlicensed airfield:ooh:

I've never flown from a grass strip before but I think you've unearthed the perfect strip for me to give it a go at. Local, friendly and neat!

Negative 'G'
1st Jul 2003, 02:15
Just a word of warning about Eddsfield, YES it is a really lovely strip on a nice day but if you get a good crosswind it can be interesting to say the least, not only have you got to contend with the Trees at very close proximity to one end of the strip (Therefore effectively displacing the threshold) but then when you eventually touch down you find that the runway actually slopes along both its length & breadth !
The first time I landed there I had to look at the U/C before taxying as I was convinced something was wrong due to the unusual attitude of the Aircraft.

Honestly don't let my comments put you off as it truely is a lovely strip but just pick your day for your first trip which is something I didn't do, hence feeling obliged to comment on it now !

Neg G :D

Oh yeah ditto the comments regarding the website, many large GA airfields would be proud of such a set up, Well done Edd !

Neg G :D

LowNSlow
1st Jul 2003, 11:50
My Dad used to fly from a strip near Driffield, it was called Lissett and the King had given him and 6 of his mates a Halifax bomber to play with :cool:

PS: Excellent website :ok:

Timothy
5th Jul 2003, 16:55
Sad to report that my meeting has been moved to Beverley, so I won't be sampling Eddsfield this time, but I will definitely go there another time.

W

FloatLikeAButterfly
5th Jul 2003, 17:47
I guess you'll be flying to Linley Hill then. Strangely enough, the initial post PPL flight that I mentioned I had in mind is from Linley Hill to Eddsfield.

I'll let you know how I fare if I do it before you do. (Which is not particularly likely!)

Floaty.

Timothy
6th Jul 2003, 04:50
FloatLikeAButterfly I guess you'll be flying to Linley Hill then. Nah! I've got a second meeting in Grimsby (my office are ever so good at getting me coherent itineraries) so I'll fly to Humberside, hire a car and drive Beverley, Grimsby, Humberside then fly home.

Shame, I really wanted to sample Eddsfield, it looks like such an excellent enterprise from everything I have seen and heard.

W