PDA

View Full Version : Can you instruct with just a ppl and FI rating?

G_STRING
27th Jun 2003, 20:30
I have done a search, (honestly!), but I can't find the exact information I'm looking for, so hope some kind person can help.

Is it possible to instruct with only a PPL, and an Instructors Rating, without:-

a) having to get the CPL / ATPL (or do you just have to do the
theory)?
b) on a class 2 medical

Obviously, this would be unremunerated instruction.

If this could be the case, how many hours would a person have to have, both dual and P1

Any replies gratefully received - as I said above, I've looked, but can't find an exact answer

Ludwig
27th Jun 2003, 22:14
This is from a similar thread (sorry don't know how to create a link) but it's on this forum. There is also a load of stuff on the CAA website in the FCL section. I think the problem with this is not so much getting the badge but the hostility within the instructor fraternity towards PPL FI's, particularly those forced to take instructor jobs because they cannot get a real job, (as they see it).

Hopefully someone with some techno cleverness will be able to create a link to the CAA site.

StrateandLevel

posted 11th June 2003 19:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can still have an instructor rating on a JAA PPL however: you must have demonstrated CPL level knowlege, and cannot be remunerated. The JAA PPL instructor only needs a Class 2 medical.

:ok:

RodgerF
27th Jun 2003, 22:52
The link you require is LASEORS Section H

Here it is http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_H.pdf

BTW Why would you want to work as a flight instructor without being paid for it?

G_STRING
27th Jun 2003, 23:41
Because I have no choice.

Due to a rare medical anomaly, I can't get a class 1 medical, so would never be able to instruct for money anyway; however, this doesn't distract me, because it's something I've always wanted to do, so to do it for nothing would be preferable to not at all

RodgerF
28th Jun 2003, 00:38
I am very sorry to hear that.

RF

justanotherflyer
28th Jun 2003, 00:45
Go for it! And enjoy one of aviation's most satisfying experiences (to those who are open to it).

Good luck.

BEagle
29th Jun 2003, 00:53
G_STRING - Are you able to meet the earlier CAA Class II medical standard rather than the JAA Class 1 standard? If so, write to Simon Janvirin at the CAA and ask whether you would be permitted to hold some form of restricted JAA Class 1 which limited you to remunerated PPL flight instruction as your sole commercial flying activity.

Pre-JAR-FCL, R/BCPL FIs only needed UK Class II medical certificates. They were permitted to instruct for remuneration. If you can meet the same medical standards, then it would be entirely unreasonable to prevent you from conducting remunerated instruction in my view.

G_STRING
29th Jun 2003, 23:23
BEagle

Thanks very much indeed for that, certainly gives me food for thought, plus some hope. Will find out about that possibility ASAP

cheers