PDA

View Full Version : 1800WXBRIEF equiv in the UK

englishal
27th Jun 2003, 19:03
Anyone know of a good flight briefing service in the UK/Europe which provides a similar detailed briefing to the US 1800WXBRIEF service? Ok, I know I'll have to pay, but if the service is good then I don't mind so much. Presently I use the internet, Avbrief plus a load of other links I've gathered together [NOAA for ex.], but nothing can replace a personal briefing with a pre-flight briefer....Plus I can call them from my mobile if I don't have internet access....

Cheers
EA:D

FlyingForFun
27th Jun 2003, 19:12
The Met Office have a number you can call for a briefing. It costs £17 per call. I used it once, got a very professional service from them, including calling me back when a later forecast became available. But ultimately all they did was read out exactly the same forecasts as I'd already got from their website - complete waste of money, IMHO.

FFF
-----------

Aussie Andy
27th Jun 2003, 19:24
Much better value can be had by calling WeatherWeb who charge I think something like 150p/min and are very good. Based at Wolverhampton. See http://www.weatherweb.net/aviation.htm

Andy

englishal
27th Jun 2003, 19:47
Cheers...I see Avbrief do a Live weather briefing service for 150p / min, just wondered how useful these services are...

cheers
ea

Julian
27th Jun 2003, 19:57
Have to agree with FFF, £17 is a complete rip off, having said that - so is £1.50/min!!!

WXBRIEF is a brilliant service - and its free!

englishal
27th Jun 2003, 23:24
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info. I'll add your number to my mobile and give it a try sometime. The main reason I'd use a pre-flight briefer is from abroad, travelling home, so the 150p a min thing wouldn't work.

I must admit the 3 day planning forecasts on Avbrief are very good, give a good clear plain english description of the weather...nice one.

I wonder if 1800wxbrief can supply international forecast, ie. if I phone them and tell them I'm flying from JFK to Kemble or somewhere whether they can give me the weather :D

Cyer
EA

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Jun 2003, 13:38
EA,

If you want to talk to someone you will have to part with dosh but you can look for free at the metoffice site in addition to AvBrief.

Metoffice Website (http://www.met-office.gov.uk/aviation/index.html)

Hope this helps

FD