PDA

View Full Version : CPL training down under

VFR800
27th Jun 2003, 18:32
My wife, being the pain in the a*@se she is, has decided she wants to move to Aus, she's pretty well qualified and stands a good chance of getting in. Thing is I've nearly finished my PPL and hoped to complete my JAA CPL within the next 18 months.

If she gets accepted, this plan will go to the dogs, so could any savvy pprun-er give me the lowdown on Aus CPL's and converting them to JAA CPL's?

Many thanks for your advice, before she starts divorce proceedings ! !

:(

redsnail
28th Jun 2003, 01:28
Viffer (nice bike btw),
It's a long and complicated process converting an Aus CPL to a JAR CPL/IR.

The Oz CPL is a reasonably straight forward affair. A heck of a lot cheaper too.
Check out CASA (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/index.htm) for the official line. That should spell out the exams and flying syllabus required. That section will also have what you'd get for your CAA licence.
Note, you can get a flying job with a basic CPL and tack your IR on after a season's worth of bush flying etc. (note, now a tax deduction). Unlike the UK your first job is either going to be instructing or bush/scenic flying in piston powered aircraft.
Like over here, the competition is fierce for work.

Converting it back (at the moment) is painful. You'd have to do the 14 exams again, a cheaper Class 1 at Gatwick, an abridged IR (if you get one in Oz) - min of 15 hours and probably all those fun extra bits the CAA have tacked on such as the MCC.
I won't bore you with CAA references as you should be famil with them.

I don't know what your wife's profession is, there's 2 lists. One with the points and the other with the skills Oz wants right now.
The visa can still take up to 5 years to get so I wouldn't throw it all away yet.

VFR800
30th Jun 2003, 19:24
redsnail,

Thanx very much for the info m8, much appreciated, I'll check it out and tell the wife she won't have to divorce me now!

The Aussie's seem to have a much better attitude towards avaition than the JAA, bless them! :)