PDA

View Full Version : Follow on from 777 hatch detachment

phnuff
27th Jun 2003, 04:31
Ref the thread in another forum about hatch detachment on 777 (posted here 'cos its a dumb question from a ppl)

Exactly how much knowledge of what the problem was would the crew have actually had while in the air ? Would they have had a warning that hatch x was open/missing or would it have been some sort or loss of pressureisation warning.

lomapaseo
27th Jun 2003, 07:30
The sound would likely change and attract the passenger's attention.

After that I have no other predictions.

Knold
27th Jun 2003, 08:49
No cabin pressure would be one indication but I would be most surprised if they didn't have a specific indicator for each door.

Jet II
27th Jun 2003, 09:55
In the case of the BA777, if the door had separated straight back without hitting the cabin window the crew would probably have been unaware of it until they landed.

The 777 panel is in an unpressurised area and has no flight deck indication - it is purely a maintenance access panel.

Last week a BA 737 had a tire separate on take-off that knocked off the gear door and damaged the wing and flaps - the crew were totally unaware until told of the incident by ATC - so a lot can happen without the crew knowing.

phnuff
27th Jun 2003, 19:43
I have just reread the original thread and this time noticed the comment that apparently it hit a window (and broke it)!. One hell of a shock for who ever was next to it

Thanks for the answers though guys(and girls if appropriate)

Notso Fantastic
28th Jun 2003, 00:27
Many years back in the days when 747s actually did circuits & bumps (now almost completely simulator territory), one of our 747s had the rear section of inboard flap (fairly narrow- I think about 8 inches+ wide and many feet long) detach at the outer end with flaps fully extended. It rotated around the other end, broke off, and entered door 4R like a spear. I saw the pictures and they would make you go cold. Straight through several seat rows of the triple seat units by the window aft of the door. Never been a recurrence in my knowledge. Fortunately an empty cabin.

cirrus01
29th Jun 2003, 04:28
A very similar incident occured to a Garuda 747 (classic) whilst in the descent for EGKK about six years ago. This time the L/H inboard fore flap section detached and punctured the fuselage just below the window line. No pax were seated there at the time.

Repair took about three days and the AAIB did get involved so a search thru their archives should give you all the details.