PDA

View Full Version : my book

Clive Hughes
27th Jun 2003, 03:47
Please note that my book “The guide to Getting a Commercial Pilot Licence” has been updated again and renamed “Guide to Becoming a Professional Pilot” .
The book has been expanded to include a chapter on the life of a pilot as suggested by several of my airline captain friends and there is now also an index to help find specific items. Website remains the same - http://www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk/

P.S. to Moderator - if this is considered to be advertising, please delete.

Megaton
27th Jun 2003, 15:12
Dear Mod,

Please don't delete! This book set me off on the path to my frozen ATPL. If only half the wannabes read this before posting, they might save themselves huge amounts of time, effort and money. My advice: buy it.

FlyingForFun
27th Jun 2003, 15:59
I agree with Ham - please leave this important news here for Wannabes who are just starting out. My PPL instructor recommended your book when I first thought about getting a commercial license, and it was probably the most valuable few pounds I've spent on my entire training.

It was badly in need of revision, with bits of CAA stuff left inside what was mostly a JAA reference, and it was difficult to read in places, but despite that it was unbelievably valuable, and I still refer to it now even though I have my path to the frozen ATPL pretty much mapped out. I can only assume that the revised version has sorted out some of this and is even better.

Well done, Clive!

FFF
--------------

Bovey
29th Jun 2003, 04:06
All well and good, but I along with several others I know parted with an extra sum for an update service that never happened........like to explain that one Clive?

Clive Hughes
29th Jun 2003, 17:13
Bovey

Yes.
The Update Service was terminated a long time ago after the theft of my computer and the discs that contained the relevant database. I did send a complete, updated new copy of the book to all those people whose details I still had a hard copy of, or who contacted me. It was my belief that I eventually contacted nearly all the Update customers – you seem to be one of the few who slipped through the net.
As your post is anonymous I cannot check my records, but if you email me with the approximate date of purchase, I will be happy to make amends. Regards, Clive.

No. 2
29th Jun 2003, 20:31
I've got a copy of this and have to agree with what's been said already:ok:

This was an extremely wise investment and really taught me what was involved in getting a licence-I really had no idea before. All wannabes should think about getting this. It's just a shame that there is no longer an update service as mine is now out of date :(

No. 2

hasell
1st Jul 2003, 17:13
Hi,
Agree with the other posts on this one. I got my copy yesterday -Thanks Clive. Well worth it!

Regards.

Hasell.

strafer
3rd Jul 2003, 01:31
Has anyone read both this and the 02FO manuals available from www.becomeapilot.com ? I be grateful if anyone could tell me if Mr Hughes' book is more worthwhile

Ace BigCat
6th Jul 2003, 07:23
I bought Clive Hughes' book about 4 months ago and all I can say is that this was the best £20 I've ever spent. Today I spoke to Clive and received advice and answers to some questions about my planned carreer change it's a real shame there aren't more decent people like him on the planet!

Dr-Evil
9th Jul 2003, 22:47
Strafer - very good question. I'm not hi-jacking this thread - that would be unfair to Clive Hughes who has a well earned reputation for his book amongst Wannabees (see above).

Your question regarding the other publication which I bought did get me thinking though. Is there anyone out there who's actually succesfully got to an interview situation using the 'system' outlined in the other publication ?? And if there is, did they actually get the 'guaranteed' extra £12k per year through the 'Racing School' which was so recommended (7 months x £20 a pop). Or, did everyone else get hacked off with the multitude of Self Help - "you can be rich - believe in yourself" course adverts which followed ?

I had no idea buying a manual on gaining my professional licence would expose me to so many weird and wonderful ways of escaping 'wage slavery' - including Horse Racing Betting systems and Contrarian Stock Trading techniques. Each new device was very well placed to extract a little more cash from you each month.

As I say, feel free to PM me if your flying 757's and rolling in cash due to the 'opportunites' you bought in to when you signed up for 02FO.

Back to the very first point - Clive Hughes' publication has real life testimonials on the reailites of achieving a professional qualification. I don't think he's in to cross selling professional gambling tips to people who already have enough opportunites to lose what little cash they may have.

Out of respect to Clive who started this thread with the best of intentions - I suggest any replies regarding 02FO be started on a different thread.

JohnnyPharm
10th Jul 2003, 20:40
I bought both books and think that they are both pretty informative. The motivational stuff in 02FO is pretty good too.

I started buying the bubble gum machines advertised in one of his mailings and have made £20,000 already ...................... NOTTTTTT!!!!!

To be honest I have never entered into any of the horse betting, property buying etc, etc get rich quick schemes and would be interested to know if any genuine people did and the results, as pointed out earlier, a new thread would probably be best.

Heli-Ice
28th Aug 2003, 04:00
Well, I think Clive has shown by writing this book that there are some people in this business who really care about others and how they are doing.

I sure would have wanted to have some kind of reading like that before I started flying. But now I'm a helicopter instructor somewhere on the rocky road and hoping that someone will discover my great skills very soon.

Only if I had read the book!!! :=

Just kidding, I like my job.

Jinkster
28th Aug 2003, 16:46
What a fantastic book :ok: :ok:

The information in there is extremely useful - especially the advice about flying schools DO NOT PAY THE MONEY UP FRONT - it saved me lots of money and we are talking thousands!! I was so close to paying the money!!

Well Done Clive Hughes :ok: :ok: :ok:

Pilot16
28th Aug 2003, 19:20
Yep, Must say my self, a brilliant book! :ok: Every student wishing to embark on the journey to becoming a proffessional pilot should have one of these....

yeh, my one is out of date too :rolleyes:

Spinningtop
1st Sep 2003, 03:28
Hi,
I am wondering if the book relates more to the airline industry, I am thinking and researching a career in helicopter Piloting. Would the book be valuable to me, I know the topics on CVs etc would be but what about the licensing issues?

Thanks.

Clive Hughes
1st Sep 2003, 23:42
Spinningtop

Sorry but my book does not really apply to helicopter piots. I must also advise you that the rotary wing field is much harder and expensive to get into with competition from ex-military pilots with mult-turbine time. There are currently 700-800 working helicopter pilots in the UK with about 9,000 fixed wing! If you have any choice then go for fixed wing. Best of luck anyway.

Clive

AllGoodNamesAreTaken
9th Sep 2003, 20:45
Just received mine in the post yesterday. It’s a top quality book! Straight and to the point no BS ... does exactly what it says on the tin ... recommend to anyone considering the minefield of getting their commercial licenses

Stephen

eire_boy
10th Sep 2003, 04:15
Ordered mine friday got it tuesday, goes into great detail, it would make you think twice before launching into this career.. worthwhile investment

TheHustler
10th Sep 2003, 21:17
Yes Clive,
but does your new book tell us all how to overcome difficulties in obtaining employment since 11 sept 2001?, how to actually successfully get employed at an airline with a new licence and only 200/250 hours, how to raise finance from 'Zero' funds to obtaining 50K, and finally! how to stop your family from leaving you through your flight training, as these are the main key points and myths for many a wannabe!

Ps bought your book a couple of years ago, not finished reading yet! been busy!

Oh yes forgot to mention, Why dont you write a new book called "How to raise £50,000 to be a pilot, when the banks say NO" would be a best seller! I mean, do you not know of any 'secret' financial insitituitons that lend silly money!
Cause if i believe right judging by these forums, its a waste of time potential pilots reading your book, about choosing flight schools etc if they dont have the funds in the first place!
making the 'how to obtain funding & costs' chapter, chapter number 1 would be a distinct adantage.
Would be a bonus Clive!

No Disrespect dude, just a hint!

strafer
10th Sep 2003, 21:55
Hustler,

this is what you wrote on another thread a few days ago re types of wannabes:
Category 3. dont bother! you are aboviously dis-illusioned! they should become professional forum posters instead!
Guess you're category 3 then.

TheHustler
10th Sep 2003, 22:08
Oh so you remember which one YOU were in then?
Its good to know my posts have followers! Im like Jesus in these forums ! hee hee

well what his has to do with Clives book not sure?
And Im not a professional forum poster either!
JUst a generalisation!

strafer
10th Sep 2003, 22:35
Hustler - I only remember it because the English was so bad I thought it might be one of Hulk's!

You're right about the categories, but wrong about it being impossible to raise the dosh if you're really committed. Hard, but not impossible.

As you said - not much to do with Clive's book so I'll stop now.