PDA

View Full Version : Fly BE "will sue for millions"

Flight Level Zero
26th Jun 2003, 19:18
http://www.thisisguernsey.com/news/news1.html

Interesting story - how do they indent to calculate any potential loss when they appear to be giving seats away on most of their routes?

puddle-jumper2
26th Jun 2003, 19:41
"appear to be giving seats away "

Like allot of low cost airlines, what they appear to do and what they actually achieve in ticket prices is not the same thing.
Flybe made a profit last year and they didn't achieve that by allowing people like the states of Guernsey to walk all over them.

Good luck to them I say.:ok:

PJ

Uncle Monty
26th Jun 2003, 20:50
What a cheek

The amount they are suing for is probably the difference between the fares now and the higher fares they would have been charging had they a monopoly.

And where did anyone get the idea that flyBE is profitable. No recent accounts have been published to verify this. It's hard to believe anything the company says. There's so much PR spin put on everything these days.

Well done to the Guernsey authorities for realising that a monopoly situation would have been bad for the island and standing up to flyBE's usual bully boy tactics.

Lucifer
26th Jun 2003, 21:36
Flybe is registered as a company at Companies House, therefore if you care to order them there will be accounts available - the FT also provides accounts for free I believe. There appear to be a lot of associated companies using flybe, British European and Jersey European namesn registered in Exeter and Jersey.

titfield
27th Jun 2003, 00:01
A bit hypocritical of FlyBe and the States to agree to (mid 90s ?) a monopoly of one carrier on LGW when in 1998 they (SOG) authorised BE to go on GCI - SOU head to head with KLM uk.

An action that precipitated KLM uks withdrawl from the Channel Islands.

donder10
27th Jun 2003, 07:40
said it also wants to protect the rights of airlines to operate in free competition.
Flybe said that it had invested time and money into the Guernsey-Gatwick route believing one day it might be the sole operator.

said it also wants to protect the rights of airlines to operate in free competition.
Flybe said that it had invested time and money into the Guernsey-Gatwick route believing one day it might be the sole operator.

Surely,free competition does not mean one airline having a dictated monopoly on a route?

notice
28th Jun 2003, 06:50
Interesting........ free competition, lo-cost and monopoly ! (and wasn't Jim with AirUK, arch-exponents of stuffing 'the regions'?)

Then there are ads. offering free flights (and we all know 'terms and conditions apply') but they seem very desparate.

Like bmi, re-inventing yourself and excuses for losses will suffice for a while but free, or cheap, flights will never pay all the bills.

Ninjaman
28th Jun 2003, 17:41
Really!!!!!

Then how comes we made a profit last year??????

Breeze Block
28th Jun 2003, 17:56
Easy to show a profit. Ask ENRON and WORLD.COM and perhaps poor MY TRAVEL.

Not saying that this is by any means the case with FLYbe. But you would be amazed at how accounts be manipulated.

notice
28th Jun 2003, 19:24
If there were no losses, they couldn't sue for millions, or anything!
In a commercial claim, you have to demonstrate/quantify damages

Ninjaman
29th Jun 2003, 17:58
Nobody said there were no losses on the CI routes.

I was simply correcting your statement that this desperate low cost tactict would not pay the bills.

Well it has and there is even some money left other (Profit).

Maybe we would have made even more if the Channel Islands were not subsidising a national airline, which as we all know is illegal under european rules.

Stick to the facts and a more sensible conversation will emerge.

surely not
1st Jul 2003, 05:24
Forgive me, but haven't Ryanair advertised FREE tickets in the past. I take it that is a sign that they are non profit making and desperate.............not:p ;)

I don't understand why one or two people on this part of the site seem to be all bitter and twisted about FlyBe. Are you spurned ex employees? Or are you from the opposition airlines and trying to generate bad press.

I wish Jim and his crew the best of fortunes, as I do any British Airline..........................even BA though I have to say that quickly so as not to choke!

titfield
1st Jul 2003, 18:57
I thought the whole point of the Channel islands was that they were able to pick and choose which legislation / regime they followed as it suited them.

Not in the EU - so they can keep their low duty, vat free status

In the UK - (ie one of the "regions") when it comes to trying to protect slots at airports.

The CI have wanted to have it both ways for too long. Perhaps now they will see that they cant have it all.