PDA

View Full Version : La Mole, France.

iainpoll
26th Jun 2003, 19:02
Hi guys & gals.

My Dad has a small pad in the South of France about 5 km from La Mole airfield, and I was thinking of hiring an Arrer and surprising him. Now a little internet research has revealed that this is classified as a dangerous airfield! I have driven past it loads of times, and yes, the area is 'hilly' but I can't see why it would be dangerous to a light aircraft.

Has anyone been there, or have any experiences to share? Also I would be greatful if anyone can recommend an alternative if La Mole is impossible.

Cheers, blue skies, and may your hangovers be mild..

Iain

Bumz_Rush
26th Jun 2003, 22:49
I used to visit every month several years ago, so my input is limited. It was a great place to go to, with a very interesting approach, and a more interesting departure. Lots of strong winds, hot temperature, and tall trees at the end. It was also expensive, very, expensive. Fuel very expensive.
As to danger, the Mistral is the problem wind. The density altitude is a killer.
I suggest you go to Toulon, and perhaps a fly over of La Mole, to see the extent of the problem. But having said that it was great fun. Beech 200, and Hawker 700. I have seen many falocns there, as well and several light twins.
However I can recomend Toulon, quite close, and easy to operate into/out of. Handling not required. PPR.
Cannes is also good, very nice, but busy. Sea level, so DA not as big a problem. Handling not required. PPR good idea. Slightly unconventional circuit, so check out beforehand. Very busy, with Nice being so close, and lots of french, and english aircraft.

Have a great time. If you need a hotel in Cannes, the Sofitel at the end of the harbour is excellent, in Toulon, the Marina Hotel, is excellent also.

Enjoy.......

Blind lemon
27th Jun 2003, 00:59
Try Frejus on the coast just up the road from St Tropez.
La Mole is stuck up a valley but have seen a Rockwell
Commander 690 in there.

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Jun 2003, 05:34
Hoi

I understand Frejus is now closed,

So I have heard.

FD

(Just checked it has been closed for 10+ years)

inbalance
27th Jun 2003, 08:14
- Restricted use - info JEPPESEN - LFTZ / LA MOLE

All pilots - private or public transportation need to have used the airfield during the last 24 months or have to make a recognising with a local instructor or have got a mountain experience.

iainpoll
27th Jun 2003, 17:03
Thanks for the info , much appreciated.

andrewwoverton
27th Sep 2003, 03:15
We have a house close to La Mole and I can confirm that you must have a special accreditation from the local instructor before flying in. He will stamp your log book. Beware - if you land there and crash & do not have an accreditation then you will end having the book thrown at you! If winds are greater than 15 knots then the airport closes. Suggestion from locals is to go down the coast to the airport just before Nice ( can't remember the name but Elton John uses it apparently in his bizjet ) where the mistral disappears. I learnt there in a really crappy Cessena 152 and the approach from either end is amazing. Departure can be hairy also. Grea little cafe at the airfield. Rumour has it that the authorities would love to close the place down as it is considered dangerous but it is locally owned. I'm looking to fly down from UK but haven't French long distance experience yet. Anybody wanting to have a go let me know.
AO