PDA

View Full Version : jet2 expands into northern ireland

glynn-kayes
25th Jun 2003, 10:08
jet2 are to commence double daily services from lba to bfs in late october futher enhancing bfs as the uk s largest low fares airline hub<in terms of bfs having the most low fares operators of any airport in the uk>...comments please?

682ft AMSL
25th Jun 2003, 15:46
They will also officially annouce LBA-GVA fairly soon.

4321zip
25th Jun 2003, 16:56
Jet2 have a competition at the moment where you can choose the destinations that they'll fly to from LBA.
I have heard that for the winter season they are looking at serving both Zurich and Geneva with a daily flight from LBA, and that they are also considering Zaragoza, Spain and Salzburg, Austria for the winter season.
How many aircrafts will they have at LBA to support the winter schedule?

ALLMCC
25th Jun 2003, 17:51
can BFS really support another low cost? Revenue results recently released already show significant reduction - in any event Flybe have Leeds pretty much sewn up - doubt if they will give up without a fight!

eastern wiseguy
25th Jun 2003, 17:53
Good news for BFS....What are the timings ? when does it start? and won't FlyBe be happy at more competition!:D

dbromle
25th Jun 2003, 20:01
Flybe dont have any competition at present, and the pricing structure rips off the business traveller. Currently it's worth the trek down the M62 to Speke to make a huge saving, despite the car parking charges there.

Uncle Monty
25th Jun 2003, 20:34
Is this official or just another PPRUNE rumour?

682ft AMSL
25th Jun 2003, 21:26
Don't know about BFS, but the launch of LBA-Geneva was confirmed when the ultimate owners of Jet2, The Dart Group PLC, announced their annual results last week.

They also announced an intention to base more aircraft at LBA for summer 04 in addition to the 4 that are currently stationed there. The 5th will be G-CELY which is now on the UK register but not yet in service and of the 6 -300s that they have just picked from Australia, some will be used by Jet2 and the remainder will be converted into a QC configuration.

galley-wench22
26th Jun 2003, 23:08
May I ask where you heard the BFS news from?? This is the first I have heard about this??:confused:

notice
29th Jun 2003, 06:37
At LBA, any new route and competition is good news but BFS was tried and failed.
As Ryan has proved, any route attracts some (and at holiday periods substantial) VFR traffic which tolerates almost anything for a lower fare but the marketing message, since the time when Capital thrashed AirUK, is 'Why use Aldergrove, when you want a Belfast service?'
The claim about BFS having most lo-cos is because not many, other than the rich farmers out West, would pay a higher fare to use Aldergrove instead of the Belfast City airport.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
9th Jul 2003, 06:44
They'd have to be very cheap to tempt me away from Flybe, Aldergrove's miles away from the city centre, if I want to fly to the middle of nowhere I'll fly Ryanair (or Jet2 to "Milan"!!)

682ft AMSL
9th Jul 2003, 19:08
Nothing to substantiate the rumour as yet, other than a sudden increase in marketing and PR from FlyBE who are now running daily adverts in the local papers for low-cost & 'free' flights on their BHD service. To everyone's ammusement, FlyBE are now even refering to themselves in the adverts as 'Yorkshire's Low Fares Airline".

Perhaps they've got wind of something imminent from Jet2?

eastern wiseguy
9th Jul 2003, 20:09
They have been calling themselves NI's ORIGINAL low cost airline as well.A lot of reinventing seems to be taking place as I never recall them as a particularly low cost mob in the past.As to why they need to offer "free seats" in the middle of the summer when people traditionally like to get away from here is a further mystery.Loss leader or a desperate clutching at straws?Let's see how they do with even more competition.Something will give eventually...but in the meantime the ball is firmly in the travellers court.

CaptAirProx
11th Jul 2003, 18:22
God...................people whinge when the price is high, and now they whinge and ridicule when its free (plus taxes).

You just can't please everyone eh.

eastern wiseguy
11th Jul 2003, 19:27
Airprox...how cheap would they be if the likes of Easy weren't putting a bat up their a$$ ? Not very...so to call themselves Northern Irelands ORIGINAL low cost airline..since 1979 no less is a tad rich!!

A summer Blackpool would actually be a corker...always was a good Flybe route in summer and that's why they charge £260 rtn for it. Capt Airprox 29th January 2003