PDA

View Full Version : B2 Visa

bmb7jiw
25th Jun 2003, 08:32
Hi,
The flight school Im thinking of doing my PPL at is telling me a B2 Visa is all I need to do a PPL. Everyone else on Pprune is talking about getting an M-2 Visa. So, my question is, is a B2 Visa ok?

Thanks

James

Sorry I should have added that I am a British man going to do the JAR PPL

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Jun 2003, 08:54
James,

If you look at the list of JAR-FCL Approved Schools in the U.S. you will find that most of them are now M-1 approved. That should tell you a lot.

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

bmb7jiw
25th Jun 2003, 12:43
Sorry maybe im a little dumb, but can you explain that a bit more? What should it be telling me?

Thanks

James

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Jun 2003, 04:49
James,

The short answer is you need to be on an M-1, J-1, or F-1 Visa if you are going to train for any licence, certificate or rating.

Here is a thread that will help you:

Visa Requirements for Flying and Training in the U.S.A. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65838)

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

iflysims
1st Jul 2003, 22:51
Richard,

While I appreciate your lengthy response (on previous thread) I do want to make a few observations.

I would really caution about telling people they can enter under visa waiver to do time building or conversion. These are completely up to interpretation by the Adjudication officer at port of entry and its entirely possible that they do not understand the time building concept or even conversion process(where you could actually receive training) and sent the pilot back to their country of origin.

The Visa waiver is considered a visa and falls under the same statue/jurisdiction as the B visas (both Vacation / Business). The J-1 Visa CAN NOT be converted to in the US and requires you to leave the country and pending who you are talking to may require you to make the application from your home country (where your passport was issued/from).

Another issue is that having a visa in your passport does not mean you will be allowed to enter as the final authority is the officer at the port of entry. Generally speaking EVERY student wanting to receive flight training towards a license in the US should get a visa - even if you are doing it while on vacation. Of course if you are sunbathing in Florida and feel like going for an introductory flight you will not need a visa but if you are planning to get training toward a license/rating you should consider this before you come to the states.

One last observation...The school is NOT responsible to ensure your legal immigration status which is why some schools can say don't worry you don't need one...Think about it...