PDA

View Full Version : Pilot has to pay O'Leary £5,000!

HD104
24th Jun 2003, 21:57
Talk about insult to injury - former Ryanair Captain John Charlton who took on Ryanair in an unfair dismissals case not only lost his case but has to pay their costs of £5,000

Big Tudor
24th Jun 2003, 22:14
What's the problem? If RyanAir had lost they would have been ordered to pay Capt. Charlton's costs. That's the way the justice system works. The tribunal obviously found that he had not been unfairly dismissed so why would RYR have to pay a legal bill when they were not found to be at fault?

rupetime
24th Jun 2003, 22:42
This is just another attempt to bash ryanair - its a non event.

rt

Localiser Green
24th Jun 2003, 22:57
"former Ryanair Captain John Charlton who took on Ryanair in an unfair dismissals case not only lost his case but has to pay their costs of £5,000"

Forgive my lack of legal knowledge, but isn't this the way it tends to work if you lose your case?? :{

MaximumPete
24th Jun 2003, 22:58
Serves the silly b****r right!

MP

maxy101
24th Jun 2003, 23:11
Does legal aid exist in Eire? If not, then it would seem the only people that can afford justice are the rich or the very poor. The middle classes in the UK fear the "justice" system as they know they cannot afford to lose. Many a "Maxwell" use this to their advantage.

Jules Meister
24th Jun 2003, 23:51
A significant number of the wealthy Irish ARE pilots!

Knold
25th Jun 2003, 00:04
That money will probably not even cover the lawyers fee let alone go directly to MOL himself

fokker
25th Jun 2003, 21:10
....... and five thousand Punts is only about ninepence-ha'penny, anyway!

Yes, before any wise-ass asks, I did know they'd gone over to Euros but that wouldn't have had the same comic impact, would it?

:E :8

Caledonian
25th Jun 2003, 21:18
Taxi for fokker :}

nicholasmcmullen
25th Jun 2003, 22:42
If the dispute was before an English Employment Tribunal (which it seems it wasn't) then in only the most exceptional circumstances e.g. vexatious litigant would the loser have to pay the winner's costs. The normal position is each party bears its own costs in (English) Employment Tribunals.

Employment Tribunals have different rules on costs awards as compared to the Courts where costs are entirely at the Court's discretion (although in the Court's, it is common for the winner to have his costs paid by the loser).

Most likely the Captain's employment contract was subject to Irish law - a whole different set of rules apply (and I am not familiar with them so I will say no more and defer to someone who is better acquianted).

I think the moral of the story is ask your lawyer up front for a worst case scenario and be ready to deal with that eventuality.

wynned
26th Jun 2003, 00:12
I am Irish, we have no legal aid here....

Why was he dismissed ???

topgundom
26th Jun 2003, 04:32
He could only sing four verses of 'Seven Drunken Nights'.:ok:

Brookmans Park
26th Jun 2003, 18:37
Not the first time JC has made the papers

He was once "Captain Rat" on the front page of the Sun

( I bet he loved flying EI-CNT in its pre Vodaphone paint job!!)

Celtic Emerald
26th Jun 2003, 20:46
My 'Environmental Studies' university lecturer (ain't a man to mess with) whose an expert in planning law & who has no qualms about sueing people/state bodies right left & centre if they break the planning laws (including Shannon airport for building a new terminal without the requisite sewage system in place (no dumping it into the estuary untreated is not acceptable) says "The only people who can afford to take legal action in Ireland are the very poor & the very rich" because the odds are so stacked against them. If you're middle of the road with middle of the roads assets ya'll probably end up sleeping in a council house or under the stars & cycling an oul rothar. There's democracy in practice for you, more like a bl**dy dictatorship if you ask me.

Emerald

HD104
26th Jun 2003, 20:53
Nicholas McMullen - The case was heard in Blighty (Bury St Edmunds). Draw your own conclusions on why the Tribunal awarded costs.

lemon
26th Jun 2003, 23:06
Wynned,

Check again - Free Legal Aid has been available in Ireland (to those in need of it) for the last 20 years at least. Just to save you diving for the piggy bank should you find yourself in front of the wigs. Buy me a pint sometime in return for this Free Legal Aid information. Good luck. :ok:

EightsOnPylons
6th Jul 2003, 21:51
Why did former Ryanair Captain John Charlton take on Ryanair?