PDA

View Full Version : Visa Application time

christootell
23rd Jun 2003, 04:20
I have an appointment for an interview for my visa in london in a couple of weeks, but just wondering if anyone knows exactly what happens once i get there?? And also how long it will take for me to get the visa after the interview? (providing they don't screw me around!!)
Many Thanks:confused:

Charlie Zulu
24th Jun 2003, 06:53
Hi there christootell,

What a great time to ask such a question.

I arrived home today after visiting the US Embassy for an M-1 Visa Application interview. This was the second time that I had been to the Embassy this year (the first time was in January).

Late in May I received the paperwork from Naples Air Center and I telephoned the US Embassy for the interview. Visit us on the 23rd June with all the required paperwork said they.

My interview was at 12:30 today but knowing from previous experience the queue outside is kinda long (around 2 hours the last time) so I arrived outside the Embassy at 11:30. Well there were only a few people in front of me so I was in the Embassy by a quarter to twelve.

So there I was in the Embassy and joined the queue to put my paperwork in (windows one and two take care of this). Took about half an hour to wait my turn. Then I was given a tesco cheese counter type of ticket with a number on it.

Then I waited. And waited. And waited. The problem with this tesco cheese counter mallarky is that unlike Tesco's (or Asda's etc) they don't operate on next ticket basis. It is completely random.

I waited and waited some more.

4pm... my number comes up!!! (I'm sure if I bought a lotterly ticket then the numbers would come up quicker!).

Off to the window / counter I trundle. Was asked a few questions. What type of licence I already have (ppl), have I ever flown a jet? (I wish!). What flight training courses I was going to Naples to do? (faa cpl/ir), will I have a job to come home to? (yes - my boss is nice in giving me 4 weeks off).

Then he tapped his computer keyboard a few times and he said, "alright you're all set. Your passport with the visa contained will be sent to you within five working days."

Yes they tell you there and then if your application has been successful.

A quick "thank you" from myself and off I trundled to get the train back to Cardiff (and work unfortunately!).

So allow yourself at least 4 to 5 hours at the US Embassy, take a damn good book, magazines or such like to read whilst you are there. The time goes slowly. Even more this second time! (note: I'll have to qualify this just in case a friend reads it. The time at the Embassy only went slow after you had your interview and left - I was waiting another hour or so after you! Argh, and you arrived after me! hahahahaha <laughs>! I hope you get your passport back before you go to Sweden next week!).

Oh if you're wondering back in January I went for the interview on the Thursday and by Saturday lunchtime I had my passport and visa back in my grubby hands.

No where in the paperwork that I received this time did it say to fill out an NIV217a form. Knowing from previous experience I filled it in anyway... thankfully as they do require it! Download it from the Embassy website.

The reason for the second M-1 visa application is that the first one was for Naples Air Center... they closed so my course was cancelled etc. Not much luck with any other school so when Naples Air Center started operations again I signed up with them straight away. Thus the need for the second visa (the first one expired on the 24th May - the day I was due to fly home).

Can't wait until I go now... Flying out of Gatwick next Thursday (3rd July!).

The very best of luck to you (what course are you doing? and where if you don't mind me asking?),

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

christootell
24th Jun 2003, 15:46
Wow, thanks very much for your help that was really useful. Just out of intrest i can't find the form NIV217a on there website, what is it about??....I am going to do my PPL at EFT (european flight training). Looking forward to it, aslong as i get the visa with no problems!

Charlie Zulu
24th Jun 2003, 16:45
Hi,

I have just check the US Embassy's website, imparticular the forms (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/forms/visaforms.htm) link where I found the pdf file to download and it is no longer available. Strange. They have them at the Embassy but I wouldn't want to rely upon that.

I'll see if I can dig one out for you later today.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

christootell
24th Jun 2003, 17:40
Thanks very much, that would be a great help. Just out of intrest what is that form about, what other irrelivant piece of information do they want to know??

Charlie Zulu
25th Jun 2003, 03:47
Hi,

I am very sorry about this but I got the form number wrong... it is in fact the NIV-27a form and is a Biographic Data Sheet. Basically it asks for your passport details, personal details and a contact number / name whilst you are in the USA.

I still can't find it on the Embassy website though! I'll keep digging around.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

christootell
25th Jun 2003, 22:08
They may have changed the numbers of forms??? I'm not sure.

tampabay
2nd Jul 2003, 01:23
Im Scottish and will most likely do my training in the USA next year

About the interview at the Embassy, do you definately have to go to the Embassy or do you think the Consulate in Edinburgh may also be used for these interviews?