PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Drive.

RAFAT
31st Oct 2000, 07:54
Can anyone please tell me why US designed and built aircraft have no nosewheel steering tiller on the right hand side, whereas European ones generally do.

I guess I'll read the checklist then!!!

mustafagander
31st Oct 2000, 08:49
As I understand it, the R/H tiller is an option on Boeings.

411A
31st Oct 2000, 11:01
BA TriStars were fitted with RHS tillers as an option. F/O's will have plenty of time to taxy when they upgrade. Also consider, a LARGE aircraft needs definate attention in order to not get a bogie off in the weeds. As the Captain is responsible, it is far better to have the F/O checking for vehicles and the taxy diagram. In addition, nearly all gate guideance systems are aligned with the LHS.

Mr Moustache
5th Nov 2000, 15:29
I have no idea why nosewheel steering is not fitted to both sides on all aircraft but here are two interesting points:
A, Debonair had a fleet of BAe146 with steering on both sides. We then bought three aircraft from Air Atlantic in Canada. All three did not have nosewheel steering on the right side. Caused a bit of confusion with two sets of proceedure for F/O take offs.
B, Crossair have all Avro RJs with right hand nosewheel steering but they prohibit F/O from doing any take offs.
Funny is it not?

wysiwyg
5th Nov 2000, 20:47
Mr. Moustache, not only do Crossair Saab 340 F/O not do any taxying (due to lack of tiller) they don't allow them any take offs either!!! F/O's don't get the controls until well airborne!

Regards
wizzy

traveler
6th Nov 2000, 10:27
MD-11's (made in USA) in the Netherlands have right hand tiller.
And we're allowed to use it too.

QAVION
6th Nov 2000, 13:16
??? Can't say I've ever seen a big Boeing without dual tillers (i.e. 767's, 747's, etc)....and I've seen plenty of 'em.

How big an aircraft are we talking here?

Q.