PDA

View Full Version : Will FAA to JAA conversion ever change?

IcarusGR
19th Jun 2003, 11:58
Well right now Im working on my FAA Commercial and in the future I plan on converting my license to JAA... my question is will the conversion process ever change? I mean the conversion from JAA to FAA is nothing compared to the FAA to JAA ( 14 subjects etc.) I hope it becomes easier... any info on this , thanks!

dorosenco
27th Jun 2003, 07:24
not for now. You better plan on studying for the 14 exams. I was hoping to get away with a flight test only to convert my FAA Comm/IR/ME but I decided to start studying and 7 months later I'm the happy owner of the JAA ATPL written examinations... don't worry they are not that hard, and now flight schools have hundreds of feedback questions which will help you with the examinations.

:D

PS: The FAA exams (up to ATP) are piece-of-cake, I agree with you

IcarusGR
27th Jun 2003, 20:31
Thanks a lot !

What Flight School did you attend for the conversion?

dorosenco
27th Jun 2003, 22:37
I'm a FAA flight instructor in California, so I had to pick a Distance Learning package. I looked on Internet and only found 3 serious schools with good reputation in the UK : Oxford, Atlantic Flight Training and Bristol. I picked AFT in Coventry as being the cheapest (1,795) and for being owned by an Airline, so no bankrupcy at least for a little while.
It worked out for me, done in 7 months (Dec/2002-June/2003)...

Good luck and Let me know if I can help,
;)

PS: And again, is not that hard ! I got a first pass in all examinations studying from the other side of the Earth ...

IcarusGR
27th Jun 2003, 23:24
Thanks for the advice... ;)

AFTA99
30th Jun 2003, 03:30
Hey Dorensco

Are you a Brit working over here on a green card, like me?

I'm instructing in Tucson and planning on starting my JAA ATPL writtens pretty soon, I'm thinking on doing them with on-line with Naples as that way I can avoid going back to Blighty for the brush up and tests. Where did you take the exams?

I'm thinking they can't be that hard, I've done all the FAA tests including ATP which was easy but you still needed to understand the performance and weight&balance stuff. I used to be an air traffic controller in the UK, so I'm hoping the R/T and airspace stuff should be straightforward as well.

What about your flight tests? Are you going to do them with EFT in FL or are there any other options over here?